How Far In Advance Can You Fill Cake With Pudding??

Decorating By SLK Updated 7 Feb 2007 , 6:59pm by chelleb1974

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 2:21am
post #1 of 14

I'm doing a pudding filled cake for tomorrow evening. I want to fill the cake and ice tonight - then decorate tomorrow....but my comfort level with pudding fillings is low. If I fill and let sit for more than 20 hours in advance - will the cake get soggy and the pudding soak in???

The last two times I made this cake, I did it the day of - but I don't think I will have enough time to get it all done tomorrow.

Of course, I'll be putting it straight in the fridge after icing.

Any pudding filled cake pro's out there that can lend a hand?

13 replies
SLK Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 2:51am
post #2 of 14

I'm trying again,

Anyone?

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 2:56am
post #3 of 14

it'll be just fine. I make a Boston Cream Pie Cake that has an instant vanilla pudding filling and I ALWAYS make it a day ahead. It actually tastes BETTER! Just keep it refrigerated!

SLK Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 2:58am
post #4 of 14

Thanks much Derby

Derby Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 3:03am
post #5 of 14

No problem! I'm the queen of doing things ahead of time....with a fulltime job, a husband and a percocious 2 year old, I have no choice.

icon_biggrin.gif

SLK Posted 20 Jan 2007 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 14

I know what you mean. I've got 2 kids and one on the way, a husband, a fil that lives with us, 2 dogs and a full time job. These silly cakes just keep getting in the way.

I just finished decorating the cake - now I can't wait to eat it tonight. I actually get to go to this party.

Enjoy your little one - they grow up way to fast!!!!! And thanks for the advice.

Derby Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:43am
post #7 of 14

you're welcome!

Derby Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:48am
post #8 of 14

by the way.....your cakes are AWESOME!!!!!!

Jodiey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodiey Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 14

Can you just make instant pudding and fill the cake with that? Do you have to do a layer of frosting on the cake first so the pudding doesn't soak through? I've never done a pudding filling before and I'm attempting one for tonight.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiey

Can you just make instant pudding and fill the cake with that? Do you have to do a layer of frosting on the cake first so the pudding doesn't soak through? I've never done a pudding filling before and I'm attempting one for tonight.

Bumping re the instant pudding..I have only ever used a cooked pudding. I always ice both sides of the cake and with the dam it all makes a kind of sealed pocket for the pudding. (Also, I make a slight trench in the cake just inside the dam before icing and put the filling inside all of that. I find that helps to keep from having any bulging.

Quote:
Quote:

by the way.....your cakes are AWESOME!!!!!!

Bumping that too.... a natural artist.

Derby Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 14

also....I do add 1 tsp melted butter and 1 tsp real vanilla to the pudding before it sets and it REALLY tastes good.

SLK Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks for the kind comments Derby and ChristP! Your all cakes are pretty awsome too! Derby - I'm looking for a reason to try a purse cake one day - I hope mine can measure up to yours, I love the paisley and the color!

Jodiey, I have only used a pudding filling twice - both times were for a banana cake. I used a package of whipped topping and a package of instant banana pudding and mixed the two together.

I would guess that if you made regular instant pudding according to the directions, you would want to follow the pie filling directions and let it set up a bit first before filling the cake - and then of course - keep it in the fridge.

Good luck!

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 14

I can do you one better (lazier) than that. I once made a cake and filled it with one of those little ready-made pudding cups that you buy in the non-refrigerated section of the grocery! It held up well without refrigeration for a day, didn't soak in much and the people at my office (where I try out new things...they'd eat mud filling if it were in a pretty cake) loved it. Dammed the edge with frosting and just poured it in. I don't suggest it for a cake you're going to sell, but for a quick filling for a kids' birthday or something (or people at your office....they really will eat anything!), it worked rather well!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 14

I use instant pudding all the time as a filling. I have found it tastes richer by only adding 1.5 cups of milk to the pudding mix rather than the full 2 cups the box calls for. YUM!!!

I've had no problem with the pudding soaking into the cake within a couple days. Left for a week it will soak in and get mushy! I hate mushy!

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%