Georgia (Ga) Business Info

Business By loulou22 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm by Mikel79

loulou22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou22 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:09am
post #1 of 10

For those looking for info on starting up in GA. I called the Ag department today for some information. I live in Gwinnett County so I spoke to the Metro Atlanta district. He said recently they passed an ordance that blocks bakers from renting restaurants during their off hours but you can rent kitchens from other bakeries or a church if they were not currently under inspection by the health dept and didn't have a not for profit rule. Also, he said you can still build out a separate kitchen in your home which I had initially been told by bakers and other Ag department people was not allowed anymore. I am calling the N. GA Ag department tomorrow to get another opinion. My parents own a restaurant in N. GA and I was going to rent space from them on the days they are closed. They also know someone who works for the Ag department in N. GA and he said 2 weeks ago that renting a kitchen from a restaurant was a perfect solution.

I will keep you posted because I know there are many Georgia bakers out there who are looking for information like me.

9 replies
SnugglePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnugglePie Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:20am
post #2 of 10

Thank's for the info!

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 10

Loulou,

Each county in Georgia is different. I live in Cobb County and have been told that by both the Dept. of Agriculture and the Cobb County Board of Health that Cobb County only allows bakery businesses to operate out of either their own stores or out of cooperative kitchens that are set up to be rented by the hour expressly for entrepreneurs. I cannot bake in a restaurant, a church, or even a separate kitchen in my own home. So, unfortunately, the info you may get allowing you to do those things in Gwinnett won't necessarily apply to any other county.

loulou22 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks. This is all so frustrating. The way they talk at the Ag department it is like district rules. Maybe Fannin Co is different. That is where the restaurant I have lined up to bake in is located. *fingers crossed* My parents live there and go to church with someone from their local Ag department and 2 weeks ago he said that would be a perfect solution. I have not had a free moment to call that district yet so I hope to tomorrow.

Thanks for the information.

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, it is INCREDIBLY frustrating. I'll cross my fingers for you that Fannin County has more accommodating laws than Cobb!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:52am
post #6 of 10

Go on the internet and download the county codes. All of the answers will be there. Even if it is hard to understand, you will be able to ask the right questions to the right agencies.

loulou22 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 10

Here is the latest. I spoke with the Fannin county Ag department last Friday. They were 100% ok with renting kitchen space from a restaurant when they are closed as long as there is a written agreement between me and the restaurant. She sent me the documentation and everything. She also asked that I call the local heath and environmental department just to make sure it was ok with them. I am waitng on my 2nd call back from them. First result was NO. The GA code does not allow for shared kitchen space for 2 businesses. When I explained that I would be using the kitchen on a per order basis for cupcakes only when the restaurant was not in business and would not be selling out of the restaurant he said he would go back and read again and see if there was anything he could work out.... sigh.... It's looking like even if it is based on county the GA health code doesn't allow it... I'll let you know the final verdict.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:55am
post #8 of 10

I'm actually in the process of opening a full storefront, and each district/county is different but you definately need to stick with the dept of Ag. They govern bakeries. I"m sure it probably has something to do with the fact that dept of Ag governs bakeries and county health dept governs restaurants as to why they tell you that you can't rent space from restaurants. if you call your district dept of Ag, you should be able to talk to the inspector for your area. I highly suggest talking to the inspector directly. at the beginning of my planning, I was only able to get vague info from the office staff.

There are alot of differences between what is required by dept of Ag and dept of Health even though they will tell you that they go by the same guidelines.... "guidelines" being the key word, it's how the "guideline is interpreted. for instance, my husband and I also own a restaurant in town. he is governed by the health dept and I know certain things that the health dept requires him to have and when I asked my inspector with dept of Ag, he told me i didn't have to have them and vice versa.

Sharaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sharaine Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpow

Loulou,

Each county in Georgia is different. I live in Cobb County and have been told that by both the Dept. of Agriculture and the Cobb County Board of Health that Cobb County only allows bakery businesses to operate out of either their own stores or out of cooperative kitchens that are set up to be rented by the hour expressly for entrepreneurs. I cannot bake in a restaurant, a church, or even a separate kitchen in my own home. So, unfortunately, the info you may get allowing you to do those things in Gwinnett won't necessarily apply to any other county.

That is strange. I live in Cobb County and just spoke to a Department of Agriculture inspector about putting a separate licensed kitchen in my basement. He said that is just fine.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 10

I live in Douglas County and was also told I can have a seperate kitchen in my basement as long as all "guidelines" were met.

=)
Michael

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%