Assembling The Cake

Decorating By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:03am
post #1 of 3

First, my apologies as I'm sure this subject has been addressed, but while scanning topics I just can't find a clear answer...and I'm still new to this, so a bit unsure.

I'm going to be making a two-tiered cake for my daughter's first birthday this weekend (3 layers each, 9" round and 6" round). I'm going to be using BC (with shortening, not butter if that makes a difference) for filling and crumb-coating. From what I've read on here, I need to fill the cakes, refrigerate and let settle, then crumb coat, refrigerate, then put another layer of icing and refrigerate before putting on MMF. What, if anything, will happen after the BC comes to room temperature after the fondant is on? Will it cause the fondant to sink or sag? Should I let it come to room temp before putting the fondant on?

I don't want to refrigerate after putting on the fondant because I've heard that it makes the fondant sweat while coming to room temperature.

Am I correct in my order of things? Do I need to let the layers settle before coating with BC?

TIA icon_wink.gif

2 replies
catlharper Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:11am
post #2 of 3

the only thing off is that once you crumbcoat you don't need to put it back into the fridge. You CAN "chill" it for a few minutes to chill the crumbcoat before covering with fondant but you don't want a cold cake when it comes time to cover it with the fondant. You want a room temperature cake. As a cake comes to room temp it releases gas/air that can escape thru the crumbcoat but not the fondant coat. So let it sit and settle (I leave it for 3 hours at a minimum) and come to room temp before covering. After that you don't have to refridgerate it. As for the fondant drooping...this is most likely to happen if you put it on before the cake has had time to settle. A cake can settle as much as an inch and as your cake gets shorter and the fondant does not you will get puddling. So give it plenty of time to settle.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you!!! That helps alot icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%