Is This Stealing?

Decorating By crumbcake Updated 9 Sep 2010 , 1:22am by WykdGud

crumbcake Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 8

I am making some dummies for display in a retail outlet and using alot of ideas from CC. I have seen several others making cakes like others here, is this considered in poor taste (stealing designs). I don't want to take credit from others.

7 replies
motherofgrace Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:40am
post #2 of 8

message them and ask.

Me I wouldnt mind UNLESS you claimed that you came up with it yourself.

Some peopel are more picky icon_smile.gif

stacey71 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 8

Could you use them as inspiration instead of copying them? Maybe get inspired by one of the elements or color sceme on the cake and then make it your own.

If cake decorating is any thing like other kinds of artistic hobbies, then I wouldnt worry too much. When your new, you are unsure of your self, so you may try to mimic another cake you may have seen. However, as you get more exp, the need to try to duplicate anothers cake begins to get borring.

After awhile you wake up noticing you have awesome caking skills and great ideas. From that point on, you will design your own original cakes icon_smile.gif

Sorry if this post is a little hard to read, my ambien is kicking in and id better get off to bed icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 8

I don't consider it stealing designs if you use another cake for inspiration.

Yes there are some extremely talented cake decorators that can dream up all kinds of new ideas. And then there are the rest of us that need a little help with it.

If you don't feel right about copying the look exactly, then don't. Make some changes to it, or use several different ideas from a couple of cakes to create a new idea.

Also don't forget when you are designing a cake to look at other sources of ideas besides just cakes. You can find ideas in graphics, material, scrapbooking paper, gift bags and nearly anything else you see. One of my ICES Display cakes was based off a gift card box.

costumeczar Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 8

You can't copyright a cake design. You can copyright the photo of the cake, so if you take someone else's picture and say that it's yours, that's not right. Ethically, though, as long as you're not telling anyone that you came up with the design on your own then you're fine. Who's to say that the person you're copying didn't copy it from someone else? Seriously, how many ways can you place a rose or a piped swirl on a cake and call it original?

As long as you're doing the work that you're presenting as your own, then you're fine. It would be nice to say "based on an original design by so and so" on a little card near the cake, or if you put it on your website, but that's more common courtesy than anything else. It irritates me when people copy my designs without attribution, but it isn't illegal, it's just slimy.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:12am
post #6 of 8

Isn't that the idea behind books like the Wilton Yearbook or all the Colette Peters books that have directions? The "based on an original design by..." is a nice addition though. icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:25am
post #7 of 8

I'd want to change it a bit to put my own spin on it - copying a design exactly would bore me stupid.

WykdGud Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:22am
post #8 of 8

I don't see anything wrong with it. I've copied other decorators designs when asked to by brides (and I don't often know who did the original since they found the pic on the internet)... if they are only being displayed locally to you, the "original artist" would likely never know or care. Also, there are rarely any truly original designs anymore anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%