Grand Opening Of Appointment Only Bakery Questions?

Business By zuzucakes Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 3:18am by loriemoms

zuzucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zuzucakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 13

Hi,

I just moved into my own storefront last week and we are wanting to have an official grand opening to announce us to the area. Not sure where to start. Do I invite old clients, prospective brides family etc. I have never been to a grand opening not sure how the
activities will happen. I search online and all they want to do is sell me giant scissors.

12 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:48am
post #2 of 13

Have ample samples...LOL! Join your local chamber of commerce, they will usually do a ribbon cutting for you and will publicize the event to all the other members, and in the local paper. Tell all your clients and friends and family. Circulate a flyer in your area announcing the event. Make it only 2 hours long, make it like a party/reception. Have people fill out their info in a guest book, and you can do email blasts for coupons and such.

zuzucakes Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 4:53am
post #3 of 13

Those are very good ideas .... thank you for your help icon_biggrin.gif It has been so stressful just getting everything up and running and I really wanted to celebrate our accomplishments but was at a loss at where to start. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 13

Get a banner for the front of your store. Make sure it can be read from the road easily with big letters. Just put "Open House", the date and time, and free samples.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 13

Hang some helium balloons outside to attract passers by. I saw an empty restaurant grand opening--nobody could tell they were celebrating because there was nothing to draw attention to the event. I went in and told them so, but they looked at me like I was nuts. We ate there that once, and they closed shortly thereafter.
Contact local radio station and newspaper; invite (forgive me for this) local politicians; send flyers to schools (teachers' reps/hospitality committee/PTA), library, government offices, office buildings, travel agencies, real estate offices (Welcome Wagon?), supermarkets, fire and police stations, hospitals and doctors' offices, recreation center, gyms, stores, etc., and ask them to post where appropriate. Be pleasantly pushy and enthusiastic.
And as cakesdivine said, get contact info in a guest book of some sort so you can follow up with the people who attend.
Good luck to you!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 13

Congrats on your new storefront!

What about printing a coupon of sorts on your announcement flyers?

Something along the lines of "bring this flyer with you for a sweet treat on us!" kind of thing? They'll keep the flyer as a visible reminder about your grand opening and even if they forget the actual paper when they come in...they can still get samples at the store!

Good luck!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 13

Congrats on your new storefront! Some wonderful ideas have been shared here and may come in handy for myself also! zuzucakes, I'm going to PM you as my husband and I are considering a store-front, but are going back 'n forth over whether to have "by appt only" or just a regular walk-in store-front bakery! Congrats again!

scp1127 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 13

Just remember... everyone loves cake! This will be easier than you think. What if you were opening a copier repair shop? Not as much fun.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 13

I don't know where you live, but in my town, if someone had a grand opening for a bakery, there would be lines around the block!

zuzucakes Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 13

You guys have been great. Any ideas on the time of day on a saturday , afternoon or late afternoon 4-6 ish icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Hang some helium balloons outside to attract passers by. I saw an empty restaurant grand opening--nobody could tell they were celebrating because there was nothing to draw attention to the event. I went in and told them so, but they looked at me like I was nuts. We ate there that once, and they closed shortly thereafter.
!

One word of caution on this: Check with your local city laws before doing this. In my area, you have to pay a 75 dollar permit fee to hang up a grand opennig sign (30 day permit) or there are huge fines. Balloons are not allowed at all, or yard signs. You can put out one of those signs on a frame outside your door but you have to follow color, and sign size regulations. I am not kidding! Our town is the only town in the state and I wouldn't be surprised in the whole country where they would not allow McDonalds to put up golden arches. And burger kind signs were too bright, so they are in grey and black. no kidding.

back to the subject, I found sending post cards to all my current customers offering a free cup of coffee worked well! Also all the other businesses in my shoping center we all put out biz cards in each others shop. I also was able to put out a Brochure hanger on our window with information...chamber is a good idea as well!

scp1127 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm
post #12 of 13

There are many towns with ordinances against golden arches, etc. These restrictions are found in many historic districts and high end planned communities. Businesses in those communities go through strict regulations concerning signs, colors of exterior, and general appearance during the approval stage and are given the restrictions as part of their licensing approval.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

There are many towns with ordinances against golden arches, etc. These restrictions are found in many historic districts and high end planned communities. Businesses in those communities go through strict regulations concerning signs, colors of exterior, and general appearance during the approval stage and are given the restrictions as part of their licensing approval.

Well glad to hear we aren't alone! And man, these fines are HIGH!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%