How Do I Fix My Mmf?

Decorating By awatterson Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 10:40am by awatterson

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 12

I made Rhonda's ultimate MMF. I have made it many times. This time I ended up with very tiny lumps. I sifted the powered sugar, but it doesn't look like it did. Is there any way to fix this, or do I have to throw it away? Thank you. icon_cry.gif

11 replies
Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 12

How long did you knead it? I sometimes forget to sift my PS. Then I have to knead it FOREVER to get most of the lumps out, and whatever I can't get with kneading usually will be about gone after I have let it rest overnight. Rekneading takes care of whats left by then. It's frustrating! icon_cry.gif HTH. icon_smile.gif

awatterson Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 12

I mixed it in my KitchenAid mixer and then I only kneaded a little bit just like I normally do. I was thinking that I would let it rest overnight and deal with it in the morning. Thank you.

djm3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djm3 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 12

sometimes microwaving the marshmallow forms like gel crystals...happened to me many times. try microwaving your marshmallow at 40 sec intervals, stirring each time.... hth

awatterson Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:36am
post #6 of 12

I too recently used this recipe in a Kitchen Aid Mixer and came out with lumps. I was able to knead the dickens out of it and it made a nice smooth fondant. I put some Crisco in my hands and kept working it in as I kneaded. It did take quite a while to knead it until it was smooth. Over all, I liked the end result.

awatterson Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:38am
post #7 of 12

Thanks. Now I will be able to sleep better knowing that it is not a total loss. I am not touching it again until tomorrow.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:04am
post #8 of 12

those lumps are from you marshmallows. next time try heating them just a tiny bit longer. Toss the mmf in the microwave in the morning for about 10 seconds. then re-knead

awatterson Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:09am
post #9 of 12

Thanks tesso! I almost threw all of it out and then I remembered all of the talented people on here who could help.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #10 of 12

I, too, wonder if your marshmallows were completely melted. You need to melt and stir (I check every 45 secs and stir to see if it's smooth yet) till perfectly smooth. Yup, sifting your sugar will help but then you do need to knead it very very well till smooth and satiny. I never use my KA because I need to feel it with my hands to see if it's where I need it to be but I know others here do. Tomorrow microwave it for about a minute and see how pliable it is then knead it for at least 10 mins to get it smooth and satiny again.

Cat

awatterson Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 9:47am
post #11 of 12

I warmed them up for 2 minutes and they were super hot (I usually only do 1 a minute 30). I can't wait to check on it this afternoon once my boys take a nap! Thank you.

awatterson Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 10:40am
post #12 of 12

I couldn't wait until the kids went to sleep, so I microwaved it and kneaded the heck out of it for about 12 minutes. It got a lot better. There are still a few small bumps, but I am going to knead it again this afternoon. Thank you everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%