Apparently I've Become The Bad Bride Magnet!

Decorating By cupcakeology Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 3:07am by catlharper

cupcakeology Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeology Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 21

First, it was the infamous bowling alley bride. Now it's a bride who wants my head on a plate.

She ordered 8 dozen cupcakes and a stand 9 days before her wedding. She didn't want to pay for delivery (wedding was an hour away) and said she'd have a friend pick them up. She was kind of odd and spacey turning the tasting, but I just chalked it up to it being 9 days before her wedding. I quadruple checked her order and the employee who handled the order when it was picked up even had the friend sign the order form and acknowledge the list of items she received (8 dozen cupcakes & the stand) as well as acknowledging that we weren't responsible for the cupcakes once they left the store. Her friend definitely picked up 8 dozen cupcakes.

This morning I get to listen to a voicemail left late Monday night about how we ruined her wedding and she had to scramble to get enough cupcakes together because we only gave her 4 dozen and she expects a full refund. I called her back and let her know that her friend did in fact pick up 8 dozen cupcakes from us and after they left the store we could no longer be responsible for them. She screamed for a good 5 minutes and then starts with the threats of how she's going to write bad reviews, call the BBB, blah blah blah. I asked her why she didn't call on Saturday and let us know about the alleged shortage and she said I had no right to question her.

I'm ready to say no more pick ups on weddings, but I know that isn't the answer. Given how she behaved over the phone, I'm sure the friend that picked them up must have somehow damaged them and didn't want to be ripped a new one by the bride. I seriously feel like I'm on the verge of a break down after being screamed at by the 2 bridezillas I've encountered in the past month. My mother would slap me up side the head if I ever behaved that way!

20 replies
just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 21

The friend probably had a taste... and then didn't fit into her dress. I would take it as a compliment. They must've been that good.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 21

They signed off on 8dz cupcakes. I don't think she has a case. However, she does sound like a Bridezilla to me! lol icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 21

Yup..I would literally tell her to go to H#**...Her friend signed for 8 dozen cupcakes...Too bad...If she didn't order enough or somehow 4 dozen never made it there...Not your problem..Let her rant and rave!!!I am sooo tired of the public figuring all they have to do is make noise and scream and threaten that you will buckle and give in and give their money back...

hausofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hausofcake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 21

Seriously I didn't know so many people had such bad experiences with brides until I started reading all these horror stories. Its scary!
Sounds like she or the friend is just dodgy anyways and like Ivy383 said- they signed off on 8 doz. she has nothing to stand on.

cupcakeology Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeology Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 21

I know she doesn't have a case, it just bothers me that the internet has created the environment where people can post all the negative reviews they want, even if they're unfounded and business owners have very little recourse.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Let her rant and rave!!!I am sooo tired of the public figuring all they have to do is make noise and scream and threaten that you will buckle and give in and give their money back...

Kiddiekakes...I couldn't agree more. I work in optometry and some of the patients behave so badly! The most common is buyers' remorse. They order glasses and when them come to pick them up they yell and scream about how we switched out the frame, they would have never ordered that, their prescription lenses are totally wrong and they can't see, and on and on.

I get so angry when management rewards them for thier bad behavior and the company loses money! It's a real sore point for me!

cupcakeology, you have the signed off order. The bride should go after her friend for the "lost" cupcakes!

Ivy383 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeology

I know she doesn't have a case, it just bothers me that the internet has created the environment where people can post all the negative reviews they want, even if they're unfounded and business owners have very little recourse.

I agree... It's not fair. icon_sad.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeology

You know - that's true! There are sites to complain about businesses and the BBB, but it's to bad there isn't a site for business owners to go on and warn other businesses about these people. Sort of a stay away from list, with details of their experience.

hausofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hausofcake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 21

Email or post her a copy of the signed off contract. Maybe she will change her mind before trashing you to other brides.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 21

Reality TV mentality claims another bride.

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 21

Does the bride know how many cupcakes are in a dozen?!?!?!? HA HA HA!!!!!

Ivy383 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1019

lol! That's a good one! icon_biggrin.gif

Does she? detective.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 21

Keep "googling" your business name and the word "reviews". If any negative reviews come up from this...email a copy of the contract where they were signed off on to the website where the review is posted. That is your only recourse. If they refuse to pull the review...then simply add your comment to that review in a professional manner. Something simple like "8 dozen cupcakes ordered, 8 dozen were approved, signed off on and picked up by a representative of the bride. Brides that opt out of delivery service, are given notice and sign that they accept responsibility for the delivery. All 8 dozen cupcakes were accounted for at time of pick up by brides rep."

I know it stings to get somebody less than thrilled...especially when they are in the wrong. Do what you can to eliminate bad reviews and know that it will soon pass.

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:57pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:

This was my first thought too!! I once had a co-worker ask me how much a half dozen was. She also told a customer our chicken didn't come in dark meat. icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:07am
post #16 of 21

I once heard a student teacher (in Home Economics) tell a class that parsley is the stuff that grows out the top of carrots. I almost fell off my chair.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:34am
post #17 of 21
Quote:

Isn't it sad that this is a real possibility?!

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #18 of 21

I just wanted to say Im sorry you had two bad experiences so close together. That must of really shook you up and I hope things start looking brighter for you soon.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:25am
post #19 of 21

Hi Cupcake... sounds like you are just going thru a little valley.Dont let stupid people ruin your day,they are not worth it.
I think as you climb out of this little valley, the view from on top of the mountian will look much better.
I agree with some of the other posters, does bridezilla know how many are in a dozen ?? LOL hope you feel better, Derrell

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeythings1961

Quote:

Isn't it sad that this is a real possibility?!

well, the grocery stores DO sell them six to a box!! icon_lol.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #21 of 21

Start making notes on what these wacko brides have in common....this way you know what you are in for and can be more forceful at the time of the order. As for delivery...I don't allow pick ups. I deliver, I set into place and take photos in the venue. I don't allow pick ups for weddings...ever. For birthdays and other occassions I will do so but even then stress at the time of the order, at the time when they call to arrange the pick up time AND as I hand them the order that the second I place the order into their hands it has been delivered in perfect condition and accepted by the client. Now I usually put it as blunt as possible at the time of the booking, a little less serious at the time of the pick up arrangement (such as: remember, when you pick it up, it's yours...I am not responsible for what happens in your car or with your dog or...LOL) then in a kidding reminder at pick up such as "hey, made it to the judging table and into the clients hands in PERFECT condition! Now you take care of that so you can show it off at home...once it leaves here it's yours". This has always worked. I have had brides try to talk me out of delivery charges but only once have I had to say, sadly of course (wink wink) Oh I'm sorry we won't be able to do your wedding cake then....

Remember that your policy is LAW in your shop. If they don't like your laws then they can go somewhere else with your blessing.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%