Plaid?

Decorating By TPACakeGirl Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm by imagenthatnj

TPACakeGirl Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 6

I need to do a wedding cake with a plaid motif. The bride and groom are Scottish, and I want to make the bottom tier resemble the grooms kilt. I know how to draw a plaid design, but I have NO idea how to put it on the cake. Do I roll out the fondant and draw the plaid and then lay it over the round, or do I fondant the round and then draw the plaid?

Do I draw the plaid with edible markers or do I paint it on with gel colors and vodka?

If I fondant first and then do the plaid, how do I know where to draw the lines?

Thanks.

5 replies
nana_marta Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 6

Somewhere on this site is a plaid kilt. Let's see if we can find it and PM the person who made it and get your questions answered!

handymama Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 6

Fondant first. I would then airbrush, but you could extrude, pipe or paint. There are also Luck's sheets and chocolate transfers in plaid.

imagenthatnj Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6
TPACakeGirl Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 6

That tutorial is beautiful, but I don't have access to an airbrush machine, and I'm looking to fondant an entire round, not just do the drapery.

imagenthatnj Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 6

I have a magazine (unfortunately I left it at my boyfriend's) that uses plaid, in yellow, for a summer wedding. I know it has step-by-step instructions and I know the author of that magazine doesn't use any molds or machines that you have to buy anywhere.

I hope more people answer, but if not, I'll get back to you Thursday morning (if this is similar to what you have in mind).

This is the link. Issue #5. Maximize the photo (click where it says MAXIMIZAR).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%