How To Make This Monkey Face?

Decorating By cfp8 Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm by texanlostlover

cfp8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfp8 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 5

I am making this monkey cake for my daughter's second birthday.

I already made the monkey cut out, but I don't know the best way to add the facial features (eyes, nose, mouth, etc.). Should I paint them on, use one of those edible markers, try to cut out those parts, so the underlying dark brown fondant shows through? I'm open to any other suggestions.

Please help -- right know I have adorable, faceless monkeys. icon_lol.gif

Thanks!!!

[/url]Image

4 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 5

If you already have the edible markers i would suggest you practice putting the details with scraps before you do it on the actual cutout. If you are good with the markers (which I'm not, just make a big mess) then I would do that. The pic looks like it was made with RI. With it you get more sharp colors than with the marker. Good luck and post the pic when you are finished.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

I don;t know how sharp a point the markers have but those details look really tiny. I would either use a super fine tipped parchment bag to pipe RI or if you don;t want to make a batch of RI for such little detail I would use a super fine brush to paint on gel color thinned out with vanilla or vodka to paint on the details

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

Wow! I am making the same cake for this weekend! lol I am making it for my friends daughter baby shower. Here is the link to post where they helped me here on CC. Good luck icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=691028&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 5

I've used paint brushes and edible markers like some of the others have suggested, but I often have a hard time getting such tiny details with those options. So sometimes I use food coloring (thinned or not) and a toothpick. That's usually easier for me if I need really small, exact details. But it's all about what you're most comfortable with, so try it out on a small piece of fondant before doing it on your already cut monkey, like someone else suggested. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%