How Can I Make A Red Velvet Cake Without The Red Bitter Colo

Baking By LuvLyrics Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 2:06pm by deMuralist

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 12

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for recipes to make a red velvet cake, I tried one already but it tastes bitter b/c of the red coloring. Is there a better brand that other for the color? I wanted to try using beets, following the recipe from Rose's Heavenly cakes, Has anyone tried it before? Can anyone share a good recipe from scratch ?

Thanks for any input on this subject!

Anna

11 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 12

I don't like my red velvet to be bright red, so I just add less color and use a gel color instead of liquid coloring.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 12

I use McCormick food color. Never noticed a bitterness, but I'm not particularly sensitive to such things, either.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 12

I make this recipe and this recipe ONLY! It is the only scratch cake recipe of any kind that has ever turned out for me, too. It uses beets and dutch process cocoa. I usually end up using reg cocoa, and add 1/8c less than is called for. It isnt really red-red so much with regular cocoa, but still delish! I also use buttermilk in place of the regular milk, and that started as a mistake...I misread the ingredients when I first made it. icon_wink.gif It's soooooo good. No beet flavor at all, and the most moist cake ever. Huge hit with anyone who has tasted it! HTH. icon_smile.gif

http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/2009/05/cant-beet-red-velvet-cupcakes.html

BlueBurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBurd Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 12

I made mine from Hershey's chocolate cake recipe (from the recipe on the cocoa box) and added the no-taste red color from Wilton until it was a dark scarlet color. I followed the regular baking instructions and it came out delish icon_smile.gif

KristyDi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyDi Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBurd

I made mine from Hershey's chocolate cake recipe (from the recipe on the cocoa box) and added the no-taste red color from Wilton until it was a dark scarlet color. I followed the regular baking instructions and it came out delish icon_smile.gif

But that's just chocolate cake colored red, not red velvet cake isn't it? Or am I missing something.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBurd

But that's just chocolate cake colored red, not red velvet cake isn't it? Or am I missing something.

Nope you are spot on. Red Velvet cakes do include a little cocoa powder to assist in coloring (natural cocoa poweder will produce a more reddish crumb). Traditional red velvet cake, however, is not a chocolate cake dyed red.

LuvLyrics Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for sharing !! an to Erin for the link, I have to make it this weekend... I'll let you all know how it came out !

Thanks

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 12

I use the red from GFS, and it is redder so I can use less, but it also does not have the bitter flavor that regular food color has, it is also cheaper.

Here is a link to a company that uses only natural ingredients, you may want to give it a shot...

http://www.escofoods.com/redcolor.html

LuvLyrics Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks for the link !!! Can you use it to color fondant and icing too ?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuralist

I use the red from GFS, and it is redder so I can use less, but it also does not have the bitter flavor that regular food color has, it is also cheaper.

Here is a link to a company that uses only natural ingredients, you may want to give it a shot...

http://www.escofoods.com/redcolor.html

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 12

What is GFS?

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 12

Gordon Food Service.

Works in icing, I don't use fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%