Covering A Dummy In Fondant - How Early?

Decorating By j_arney Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm by leily

j_arney Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a giant cake for my son's 3rd birthday with 1 real tier and 4 dummy tiers. It's going to be a lot of work, so I want to get as much as possible done early. How early can I decorate the 4 dummy tiers?

Also, do I have to do anything to the dummy to make the fondant stick? Maybe a light rub with crisco or piping gel? Would that affect how long it can sit out?

4 replies
dchockeyguy Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 5

There are several things you can use to attach fondant to a dummy. Piping gel, icing or just plain water. Me, I use water now because it's cheap and works fine. You just want a very small amount of water though, not soaking.

Hoenstly, since they are dummies, you can cover them as far in advance as you want. I have dummy cakes from last year I covered and decorated still around.

TexasSugar Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 5

I agree, you can do them as early as you want. I would keep them out of bright lights and sunlight to prevent fading, but I've had dummies sit around for a while and not had any problems with them.

j_arney Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! This is going to help me immensely if I can get 4 of the 5 tiers out of the way. I appreciate the responses!!

leily Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 5

I also agree, first I usually just lightly spray my dummies with water, you could wipe it with a damp towel too. Just to get a littel moister on there.

And as for timeline? you can do them years in advance if you really wanted to. The bottom tier in this cake is fake and was done 3 years ago now. It still looks just as good, even with the edible images on there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%