Shiney Edible Gold Paint?

Decorating By multilayered Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm by greengyrl26

multilayered Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 10

I've seen this used a number of times, lastly on Amazing Wedding Cakes for Merci B Koi Cake. Does anyone know what it is called and were I can get some. I've try brush painting with my airbrush gold sheen, and luster dust mixed with vanilla but I can't get that "thick" looking gold color. Does anyone know what I mean? Thanx

9 replies
Karen421 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 10

I use Gold Glaze by Bakery Crafts it is a liquid and ready to use. It works great!

multilayered Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I use Gold Glaze by Bakery Crafts it is a liquid and ready to use. It works great!




Does it cover as a solid color or is it translucent? I really need solid full coverage color. Thanks

Karen421 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, you may have to do 2 coats, but it is pretty good. Global Sugar Art has it if you want to take a look at it.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=edible+gold&searchimage.x=15&searchimage.y=1

MerciCakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:15am
post #5 of 10

We use a gold dust!

multilayered Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:28am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciCakes

We use a gold dust!




Thank you so much for answering....I was just cursing last night because I saw you use it on the pirate ship cake.. I was yelling at the tv "WHAT IS THAT???!!!!" lol so thank you again icon_biggrin.gif Do you mind telling me which one? I've tried the run of the mill luster, and I even bought that glaze stuff but it is not even close to what you use it is just fantastic!!! You guys are amazingicon_smile.gif

MerciCakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:52am
post #7 of 10

We use edible gold dust and vodka. We get it from a Cake supply source here in LA. It comes in a 2oz container. It is for decoration use only, it is real gold.... I don't have a product name to give you because it is no longer on the bottle it got rubbed off. Sorry about that.

Thanks for watching the show!

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Reva

multilayered Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:35am
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much I really appreciate your reply. You know it's really funny, I've actually met a number of celebrities, musicians, etc during the course of my life and it's never phased me one bit. But Just a few minutes ago I was going on and on to my husband about YOU answering my post. Maybe it's because I'm a decorator and I can truly appreciate the difficulty of you designs and how fantastically talented you both are. Ok I'm done gushing now....sorry icon_smile.gif I will try to find the right dust, thanks, Andrea

Karen421 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciCakes

We use edible gold dust and vodka. We get it from a Cake supply source here in LA. It comes in a 2oz container. It is for decoration use only, it is real gold.... I don't have a product name to give you because it is no longer on the bottle it got rubbed off. Sorry about that.

Thanks for watching the show!

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Reva




WOW! That gold was great, I have never been able to get dust to look that good! I guess the key is real gold!

I LOVE you cakes - you guys are very talented!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

greengyrl26 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciCakes

We use a gold dust!



Thank you so much for answering....I was just cursing last night because I saw you use it on the pirate ship cake.. I was yelling at the tv "WHAT IS THAT???!!!!" lol so thank you again icon_biggrin.gif Do you mind telling me which one? I've tried the run of the mill luster, and I even bought that glaze stuff but it is not even close to what you use it is just fantastic!!! You guys are amazingicon_smile.gif




I was cursing the tv too!!!! I can NEVER get that nice "real gold look" that I see on the cake shows! Ron Bon-Israel gets a good gold too, but don't know what he uses either. Thanks for answering us Reva! And Marc looks just like my friend Steve, it's uncanny! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%