Purple Cake, Ideas Please????

Baking By mila1969 Updated 14 Sep 2010 , 9:22am by mila1969

mila1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mila1969 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 14

I need a recipe that can truly turn purple. The client calls me a red velvet cake, but between the cocoa and baked purple color is actually a rather indefinite golden cake .... I tried to make cakes only with egg whites and vegetable oil instead of with butter, but do not hold too much weight and she likes the taste of red velvet unless you find a rich cake flavor and can be dyed in the color of dress she wore .... Any ideas?

13 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 14

Hi, can't you use the same red velvet cake recipe and just change the colour from red to purple? I recently saw that Pink cake box does a Pink velvet cake!

mila1969 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:05am
post #3 of 14

yes, just change the color.
Purple, not red,
But she does not want a dark purple color.
Want more good that is purple.
I'm not able to do this because I always get the gold of baking, I need some advice

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:28am
post #4 of 14

Funny the requests we get isn't it. I use cake man raven's red velvet recipe. I would take out the red and use either a few drops of either royal purple or lavender (Americolor). Their lavender is more pinkish purple, maybe its the color your looking for? I don't see any reason that using a few drops vs 1oz of food color wouldn't do the trick.

The other option is using WASC cake, that's what I use for my rainbow cupcakes, it take any color really well. Doesn't taste anything like red velvet, but it can be made purple no problem.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 10:33am
post #5 of 14

red velvet will never turn light purple because you have cocoa in it but i have a suggestion that might or might not work.. replace the cocoa powder in the redvelvet recipie with chocoalte flavor. but only use a small ammount. you might have to adjust the recipie a bit.. maybe add alittle more flour to it. then add the color. scince the extract is not as dark as the cocoa it might actually work. but justbecasefull not to add too much extract.
if that didnt work.. i suggest u start saying NO to weird requests like this.. honestly people want everything and they want it cheap..
i got a call from a customer that wants a topsy turvy cake for less than 100$

anyhow good luck

mila1969 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:17am
post #6 of 14

Thank you both.
Already thought of replacing the cocoa aroma of chocolate.
But sugarflair and does not use too much color.
I think with americolor can do better.
Yesterday, try a madeira sponge cake based on clear and cream and dyed purple.
Raspberry flavor koolaid. I was rich for my taste
But people try by all means get the best at the best price, here in Spain seems to be the national sporticon_smile.gif
What is the recipe ????? WASC

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 6:24am
post #7 of 14

WASC = white almond sour cream. It's a doctored mix, you can find the recipe on this site. Not my favorite, but people like it.

mila1969 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:02am
post #8 of 14

thanks I'll look for it, does not sound too good icon_sad.gif

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 14

I am in the exact same boat...don't waste your time/money trying to use purple coloring with the cocoa powder, especially if you are using buttermilk, baking soda, and vinegar as the chemical reaction will turn reddish, no matter what color you put in there. I used the Americolor violet and electric purple and the batter was a beautiful purple, but once baked and chemical reactions took place, it looks like a dark brown with a little pink in it. It's pretty, but def. not purple. I ended up using the White Velvet Cake (a WASC variation that is delicious...you cannot taste the sour cream) and used my Wilton gel colors to make it a beautiful purple. My only other suggestion is you MAY be able to use blue food coloring in the regular red velvet because the acidic reaction will be red and MAYBE they will turn into a dark purple MAYBE. If you are going to try that, I would do a small sample, as I'm still not sure you are going to get purple out of something mixed with brown. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

mila1969 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 14

Or ... you saw the reaction, any purple on red velvet becomes brown, like an eggplant expiredicon_smile.gif)
The white velvet cake? WASC that variation is "how do you do? Make me to know.
I'm still doing tests.
Yesterday bake cake recipe party Dorie Greenspan.
The cake stayed brown purple violet.
But I did a zebra cake and purple at the center was simply wonderful.
The taste does not convince me, but the last word is the client....

Translate Google

JustGettinStarted Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 14

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15190/white-velvet-cake

Here is the recipe for the White Velvet cake I turned purple. It does not have a lot of chocolate flavor so you might be able to add a few white chocolate melts to it if you want more chocolate flavor. It is very moist and delicious and will easily become a lighter purple when you add the gel color (I used Wilton).

Hope that helps!

mila1969 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 14

thanks icon_wink.gif)

JustGettinStarted Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 14

de nada. Me gusta mucho mirar a tu blog.

mila1969 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 9:22am
post #14 of 14

gracias.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%