Materials Really So Costly?

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 5:21pm by TheBlonde

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 13

Hi,

I am baking a 2 tiered fondant cake for a friends daughter
First tier is 10 " and second 8". one cake is a lemone wasc and the second is a vanilla wasc.
Each is filled with a different buttercream.
The entire cake will be covered in fondant and have varied fondant accents.
The wasc recipie i have always used is from tonednas site.
There wil also be some RKT towers on the cake covered in ganache and fondant.

When i price this cake up for materials alone (not including coloring or labor)
It seems to work out around $80-90 this includes a 10lb pail of fondant at $35. so $55 for the 2 cakes including RKT chocolate etc.
This is not a commercial cake but all materials bought from local supermarkets.

I guess what i am asking is does this seem about the right price for materials alone?
I dont buy in bulk as i only make a cake once every month or so...
I just want to make sure im not missing out on some inside trade secrets on where to buy supplies icon_smile.gif

12 replies
MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 13

Seems right to me, try catching some things on sale and storing them. Thats what I try to do.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 13

Your grocery prices are probably higher than ours in TX. I can do three tiers for about $50 inluding the fondant, but I use homemade fondant.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 13

Sounds about right. Watch for sales and coupons for the hobby/craft/supply stores.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 13

unless you have a lot of fondant decorations you could order a 5# bucket of fondant instead of 10. I use this chart for reference on how much fondant per cake and it works well for me. It looks like for the 10 and 8 you only need about 3-1/2

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21932&category_id=257

Also, what exactly is the $55? i guess i'm just a little confused on what the $80-90 is compared to the $55 (i am a little tired this morning so maybe i'm just missing it)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Also, what exactly is the $55? i guess i'm just a little confused on what the $80-90 is compared to the $55 (i am a little tired this morning so maybe i'm just missing it)

The way I read it, $35 of the $80-$90 was for fondant. So that left about $55 for the rest of the items.

I'm curious, if these items were broken down into how much was actual going to be used on the cake or just how much needed to be bought. Such as a bag of flour vs 3 of cups of flour. Or the price of the 4lbs of fondant to be used vs the 10lbs bought.

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 13

This sounds right. I'm always amazed at how cheap people try to get cakes (I just do them for friends for cost) and I have them just pay for supplies. They jump at the cost of supplies - I should have them try to make it themselves. icon_smile.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 13

I wish more people realized the cost of supplies and ingredients. WOuld make our jobs in dealing with clients who want cheap cakes easier.

Also, the fondant chart that the link was listed for....does that apply to mmf also? Just wondering. Thanks icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 13

Yeah, it's always surprising how quickly things add up. Between no cake mixes for me, making SMBC, and using higher quality chocolates, things add up real quick.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

The way I read it, $35 of the $80-$90 was for fondant. So that left about $55 for the rest of the items.

I'm curious, if these items were broken down into how much was actual going to be used on the cake or just how much needed to be bought. Such as a bag of flour vs 3 of cups of flour. Or the price of the 4lbs of fondant to be used vs the 10lbs bought.

thanks texassugar, that makes sense

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I wish more people realized the cost of supplies and ingredients. WOuld make our jobs in dealing with clients who want cheap cakes easier.

Also, the fondant chart that the link was listed for....does that apply to mmf also? Just wondering. Thanks icon_smile.gif

the amount used is the same but the cost is drastically different. I can make enough MMF to cover a 3 tier for under $10. The cost of premade fondant is what drove me to learn how to make MMF. Now I only buy it when I need a lot of black or red. Otherwise its MMF all the way.

And Texas Sugar is right...depends on if you are pricing out the cost of a bag of flour you will only use half of or if y ou are actually breaking down the cost.

However, supplies aside, once you are legal you are paying for where you make your cakes as well as your insurance as well as paying yourself for your time...it all adds up along with the supplies to drive the price of cakes up...can't be helped. But people always want something for nothing so they will always be looking for cheap cake.

Cat

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 13

Thankyou all for your answers - The cake will be 2 tier but around 4-5 inches in depth for each level so i guestimated the fondant to be around 4-5 lbs - then decoration and covering rkt turrets etc i figured close on 7-8 lbs.
Everything i calculated to the exact amount except flour which seems to only come in big bags.. ( from walbalms supermarket & fresh direct)

I just wanted to make sure that when i ask for the money for this in terms of just the ingreediants (its a favor) that im doing the best deal as possible..

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 13

It's always amazes me how much cakes cost to make. I used to buy fondant but then I realized it was so easy to make it and about 1/4 the price!!!

Also, I make my own gumpaste. I was about to buy an $8 bag of it yesterday just because I didn't feel like breaking out my mixer but decided it was cheaper to do it myself. Took all of 5 minutes and probably cost me less than $2 to make!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%