Help! I'm A Beginnner!

Decorating By harriet_87 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm by Karen421

harriet_87 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:02am
post #1 of 11

It is my daughters 3rd birthday in a few weeks and I have set myself the difficult task of making a 2 tiered cake. I have only ever made 2 other birthday cakes and they were just standard cakes so I have no idea what to do but have my heart set on a certain cake! I want to make a sponge cake but I don't know what sponge cake to use. If I put one cake on top of another will it not just squash the bottom one? Or at the least, sink slightly! And what fillings do I put in the cakes so they don't splurge out the bottom one when I put the top one on?! Also what are the best size tins to use? Recipes for 2 tiered cakes would be very greatly appreciated! And any other tips!!
One more thing, how do I stick fondant icing shapes to buttericing?

10 replies
awatterson Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:34am
post #2 of 11

Use the SPS system (there is a whole thread about it). It has plates and supports so that the cakes don't squish each other. If you don't want to buy that some people use bubble tea straws. If you use an icing dam (thickened buttercream) your filling should be fine as long as your support system is good. I use the WASC recipes (white almond sour cream). They start with a box mix and then you add other ingredients to them to make them yummy! You can put a tiny amount of water or an alcohol based extract or vodka, or a tiny amount piping gel on the back of the fondant to make it stick. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! Oh, not sure how many you are trying to feed, but I would think that a 6" and 8" should be big enough. That should feed 36 people with 1"x2"x4" pieces.

Cohaja12 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:36am
post #3 of 11

Take the time to read, read, read the forums. I've learned so much from them. In fact I learned EVERYTHING from them! icon_biggrin.gif

All your questions will be answered there. Every one has their own method of doing things, you'll just get different answers.

adventuregal Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:39am
post #4 of 11

Hey Harriet!
Welcome to CC! It's exciting to make your first two tiered! I remember when I made mine-I almost hyperventilated over my excitement when it was done LOL To your first question about what cake to use I'd say look on here-there are alot of good recipes icon_smile.gif I don't use sponge bc I don't like the texture so I can't help ya there. There is no specific "recipe for two tiers." Just use any one you like-same with fillings...they shouldn't buldge if you make a barrier with icing. Yes your cake will squash the other if you just put it on top. For a simple (smaller) two tier I would use the straw method. You just insert straws (cut to size) into your first layer and then put the second layer (thats on a cake board) onto the bottom layer (the straws support the weight). For the fondant-alot of cakers I know use a light spritz of water to their fondant to stick it to the BC. Hope that helps and have fun! Post pictures when you're done icon_biggrin.gif

agemyers Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:35am
post #5 of 11

I have same thing going on. My daughter wants 2 tier cage with bettercream, do I need anything under the fondant or its stick to the cream because its not crusting

harriet_87 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:36am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all your advice! I'll let you know how I get on! I am really excited about making it but I am so nervous it won't turn out how I picture it! Wish me luck Lol!

eatdessert1st Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 11

Hi:
Here is a link that explains how to stack:
http://baking-decorating-cakes.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_stack_cake_tiers

You'll be whizzing through those steps in no time! Have fun!

Melanie Mc.

poohsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 11

Find tonedna1 (Edna de la Cruz, CC member) on youtube. She has videos on everything from icing to stacking to making flowers.

harriet_87 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:05pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone for your advice. The cake came out pretty well in the end. Hopefully there is an attachment for you to see. Not bad for a first attempt!?

harriet_87 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:06pm
post #10 of 11

Hmm, that didn't work! I'll put it on my profile anyway! X

Karen421 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:27pm
post #11 of 11

Harriet you did a GREAT job!!!! The cake look fantastic! Congratulations!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%