Chance To Go England!!!

Lounge By shanney54 Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 4:14pm by JaeRodriguez

shanney54 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:43am
post #1 of 9

The marching band from the university I used to attend, Jacksonville State University, has been selected to participate in the 2012 New Year's Day Parade in London! They have also announced that they will allow alumni to go on the trip and can also perform in the parade if we want!!! If I can scrounge up the money I'm going! I wonder if I could do a fundraiser selling cake and stuff...? icon_biggrin.gif

Has anyone gone to the parade?

8 replies
itsmylife Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:34am
post #2 of 9

I've never been....but what a cool opportunity! I always loved marching in parades.

ShellBell69 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 9

I've never been in a parade but England is BEAUTIFUL! I went when I was a senior in highschool through EF. Instead of a class ring I started work in as a Jr. and my parents helped fund the trip. It was the best thing ever! I would LOVE to go back again. I say find the money some how some way and GO!

OH...and let me sneak along. icon_lol.gif

trotters Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 9

then come up to scotland icon_smile.gif but the highlands icon_smile.gif

shanney54 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:21am
post #5 of 9

itsmylife - Marching in parades was always ok, but I loved marching in the half-time shows the best!!! Oh, how I miss those days!

ShellBell69 - Where all di you get to go? It'll be winter when we go and I don't want to freeze!!!

trotters - I've thought about it depending on how much time we have. About how long do you think that it would take to get there from London?

CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:28am
post #6 of 9
Originally Posted by shanney54

About how long do you think that it would take to get there from London?

It's an hour and a half flight from LGW to Edinburgh, Scotland, or a 70 minute flight from LHR to Edinburgh. HTH.

My favorite place in the UK... Edinburgh. My second fave... Belfast, Northern Ireland. Last on my list is London (sorry)... it's a great place to visit once, but I have no desire to go back.

G_Cakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:42am
post #7 of 9

Went to England for business back in January 2001 and it was fantastic...

Weather wise it was great with temps averaging around 8-12 degrees during the day, back in Toronto it was averaging -20 so no complaints here!

A warm sweater and my rain coat was all I needed and a 7 day trip turned into 21 day work/vacation.

Loved it while I was there and spent one weekend doing all the tourist trap sites the rest of the time was just hoping on the tube and seeing where it took me.

People are fantastic and I hope to return one day...

Go you will love it !

shanney54 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:56am
post #8 of 9

I'm gonna do my best to go. I'll know either way more when they announce how much it'll be. 8-12 degrees will be a good bit colder than what it's like here in the winter! lol BRR!!! I'm getting cold thinking about it! Depending on how much free time we have I'd like to go up to Scotland and some other places in England.

Do you remember any bakery type stores over there?

JaeRodriguez Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 9

Shanney we had to raise money for a trip to march in the rose bowl, we did bake sales and we also sent out letter to people we knew telling them what we were doing and asking if they had any odd jobs we could do to earn our money. (Other people just point blank asked for money, but we would rather work for it! icon_razz.gif)

You should definitely try to go! That's a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Quote by @%username% on %date%