Repairing Cake Damage Once Removed From Pan ???!!!

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm by durell87

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:51am
post #1 of 7

icon_sad.gif Hello all ... looking for a little help please.
Tonight I baked 3 12" rounds and upon turning out onto the cooling rack all three of them had a spot where even though it released from the pan, it kinda pulled apart from the cake. The pieces are still attached, however it does wiggle a bit. I was wondering if it would be okay to lift up the section and adhere/patch it to the cake with buttercream before crumbcoating it ? I hope I am making sense. You know kinda like gluing it back into place ...
Any help or other suggestions would be gladly appreciated !!! icon_redface.gif

Thank you
TSEG

6 replies
LaurenBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenBaker Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:55am
post #2 of 7

I've done that several times and it always seems to work fine. A couple weeks ago I made a wedding cake and one of the cakes from my largest tier had a big chunk out of it when I removed it from the pan...I "glued" it back together with buttercream and it turned out perfect! icon_smile.gif

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:00am
post #3 of 7

What do you do when it cracks? Almost splitting down the middle? Can I glue it with buttercrem? Lol I pretty much wrapped it and stuck it in the freezer until I know what to do with it lol. I was thinking cake balls if its unsavable but I still need to look into how to make those first!

LaurenBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenBaker Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:03am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by durell87

What do you do when it cracks? Almost splitting down the middle? Can I glue it with buttercrem? Lol I pretty much wrapped it and stuck it in the freezer until I know what to do with it lol. I was thinking cake balls if its unsavable but I still need to look into how to make those first!

I've done the same thing with cakes that break. I had a 12" cake that pretty much broke in half...I had it one two cooling racks and one of the racks fell. I put it back together with my frosting, did a really good crumb coat and let it set in the fridge for about 30 minutes before I finished frosting and stacking. It worked well for me.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:04am
post #5 of 7

Thank you LaurenBaker
Now I feel better !!! I am going to "glue" it together then crumb coat and once I crumb coat I always like to put another not too thick a coat over that ... thumbs_up.gif

Thank you !!!

TSEG

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:25am
post #6 of 7

A cake will crack in two if it has a hump on it when you turn it out onto a cooling rack. The reason being it is not sitting levelly and all the weight is on the edges around the hump. The easiest way to remedy this is to turn it out onto the rack and use another rack on top and turn it over so it cools on the part that was in the bottom of the pan.
After it has cooled then you can level the top off.
evelyn

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks cakegrandma and thanks laurenbaker! I will def try to glue it bake together lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%