Canned Pumpkin Shortage?...

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 6:40pm by Irish245

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:31pm
post #31 of 43

Dollar General, a dollar a can. but good luck finding it now. It went onto the shelves a week ago, and I happened along to my local store when it hadn't even been priced yet, and I bought up 20 cans. Not a can left this week, sadly.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 3:53am
post #32 of 43

Where do you think Libbys gets there pumpkin pir filling? They make it from pumpkins.....I am using my two that are by the lamp post hehe

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:08am
post #33 of 43

HUGE stock of Libby's canned pumpkin at a local Smart & Final, I'm in Simi Valley, CA

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 4:58am
post #34 of 43

I use pumpkins. I grow jack o'lantern pumpkins and sugar pumpkins.

I use Jack o'lantern pumpkins for savory recipes like bread and rolls, sugar pumpkins go into sweet foods.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:18pm
post #35 of 43

Madgeowens: Of course I know pumpkin pie filling is made from pumpkins, I'm not stupid! I was only stating that because of the extra spices and moisture it makes my cakes taste better!

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:34pm
post #36 of 43

I actually called Libby's - there is a shortage due to the weather. They shipped all they had. Sams Club has 3 large cans for 6 something. I bought 9 and am going back for more.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 3:35pm
post #37 of 43

I've been asking friends and family to 'keep an eye out' for canned pumpkin for me for a YEAR!!
I love pumpkin bread all year long and I can't afford to keep going to Starbucks for my 'fix'!
Now, just within the past 2 weeks, I'm starting to see stores like Kroger, Walmart & Meijer, stocking their shelves with Libby's solid pumpkin and pumpin pie filling! {{Yippeee}}
I think I currently have about eight cans of pumpkin in my pantry!!

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:04pm
post #38 of 43

Come north......no shortage here in Canada!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 4:29pm
post #39 of 43

Michelle84 - oh boy - you should try a pumpkin cookie. There are a bunch of recipes online, especially now. Fall time in the States? Shoot, you got pumpkin everything everywhere!

I like a pumpkin cookie recipe with cinnamon & ginger, maybe a little nutmeg. I like to add raisins. Then, after the cookies cool, they are super yummy with maple buttercream icing smeared on top. The recipe I love isn't super sweet by itself....so, that maple icing really kicks it up a notch!

Your Mum would probably love them too. Especially if she's a hot beverage drinker. I love my hot tea with a couple cookies!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:32pm
post #40 of 43

I was at Walmart last week and saw they had an abundance of pumpkin so I bought 8 cans, my husband was kind of shocked to see that many with no plan in place for them. Emergency pumpkin.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 5:49pm
post #41 of 43

About a week or so after I posted this question...
I have found it in most of our grocery stores. Though...I'm noticing it disappearing and not being restocked. I've got all the cans I'm going to need at this point for the year. But, I'm tempted to go and grab a few more in case this is a problem next year.
Thanks for your help everyone! Hoping it's on your grocery store shelves too!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:22pm
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Whole Foods and other stores that sell organic pumpkin don't seem to be suffering from a pumpkin shortage, but the Libby's brand is nowhere to be found.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I just bought a whole case of Libby's pumpkin. It's a good thing, too, because my family would go into withdrawal without their pumpkin bread and muffin fix!! icon_lol.gif

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 6:40pm
post #43 of 43

I happened to see it in our Walmart (Butler, Pennsylvania - just north of Pittsburgh) this past weekend and stocked up on it. I heard on the news about two weeks ago that there is not going to be a shortage this year. So much for that huh? Maybe everyone is already stocking up like me this year?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%