I'm Learning Not To Do Favors For Friends.

Decorating By cakesbywendy Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 12:26am by cplfernandez

cakesbywendy Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 16

So.... My phone rings, it's my bestfriends sister. She asked if I could make a last minute wedding cake for her. I told her I don't make wedding cakes. She then said she didn't want anything fancy and she really needed my help. I gave in and said ok. She said she didn't have much money and she wanted a simple, small stacked cake with fresh flowers. She said she didn't care what type of flowers the cheapest that the florist carried was fine. All she cared about is that the colors yellow and red were used. So I make the cake, she picks it up and tells me she loves it! Then I talk to my friend and she tells me that her sister didn't care for the flowers. She thought I could of used better flowers then what were used and I should of had ivy etc... The cake was last minute, I used the colors she wanted and only charged her $40.00. Needless to say she told me to use the cheapest flowers I could get that it didn't matter. Urgh... I'm so frustrated. I will never do favors anymore. And I will make them bring me what flowers that want on the cake. Lesson learned!

15 replies
tsal Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 16

I've been burned by 'friends' as well. There are now only a handful of 'really' close friends that I will even consider making cakes for.

Isn't ivy poisonous?

NatD Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 16

wow...it's amazing to me how ungrateful some people can be...considering you spent your time to make the cake for her and by what she paid you i'm sure you didn't profit much or anything at all....sorry this happened...and like you and probaby almost everyone on here it's happened to me too...and now like the other post i will only make for a select few friends as well..

cakesbywendy Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 16

I forgot to mention she needed the cake in a week and a half.

MJoycake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:13am
post #5 of 16

Wow - you can tell her that I charged $75.00 for a 6" fondant elopement cake for a couple last month. Her $40.00 wouldn't buy her much anywhere and she should be bowing down to you and buffing your shoes while she's at it for doing her a favor like that!

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:35am
post #6 of 16

There is no phrase more true than:

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Sorry to hear about the ungrateful wretch..................er, wench.............er witch.......................er, b......................ride.

destineysway Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 16

im soo sorry to hear about this lol but its happened to me and mine was a 3 day notice lol

Paige_Pittman86 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:12am
post #8 of 16

I paid damn near 400 dollars for my wedding cake!! If I could have got mine for 40 they could have made it red white and blue with sparklers sticking out I'd been happy lol, and I said damn near 400 really it was over 400. the nerve of some people..... 40 for a wedding Cake with the amount of time and work that goes into, I'd pop my friend straight in the mouth and dare her to say another word about it...

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 8:34am
post #9 of 16

I made two cakes for my friends nieces who of course were twins. I paid 17.00 for Disney baby dolls to make keepsake toppers since this was their first birthdays and all of the ingredients. She was supposed to pay me back for the ingredients. When it came down to it she gave me a bad check. Something told me to take it to her bank. I tried to cash it twice and no funds were available. When I confronted her about the check she gave me part of the cash. I ended up in the hole trying to help her out. And she had the nerve to ask me for another cake for her family and her own baby shower cake. Never again.

cakesbywendy Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:21am
post #10 of 16

I appreciate your responses. Hearing your stories makes me realize even more then ever not to do favors. I think what bothers me also is she never came to me to tell me how she felt. Instead bad mouth me to others.

KiwiMel1980 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:59am
post #11 of 16

I have been having the same issues, I spent hours making ladybug cupcakes for a friend to take to work and she paid me $20 that wouldn't cover the ingrediants let alone all the time it takes out of your day. People certainly do take advantage of you

cakesbywendy Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:28pm
post #12 of 16

Yes they sure do! And it tends to hurt your feelings when it's people you know.

vtcake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 16

Friends should not tell friends things that hurt feeling, that are moot and are beyond control.

DefyGravity Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 16

If it was me, the conversation would have went like this:

"My sister didn't like the flowers you picked out."
"I don't care. She's lucky she got a cake at all."

... but then again, I'm not the sweetest candy in the dish.

cakesbywendy Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #15 of 16

I was in shock when she was telling me. I wish I would have said something like that icon_smile.gif

cplfernandez Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:26am
post #16 of 16

Here's the trick, my best friend used to help me make cakes and we would split the "profits". Well I finally got tired of buying all the supplies, baking, and basically doing all the work to still only split the whole charge for the cake. I finally, on our last cake, paid her by the hour, for her help. This meant for a few days that were a bit raw and edgy, but now we see eye to eye. She no longer "helps" me on cakes anymore. But she sure knows how much work goes into it and if she refers anyone to me for a cake, she does not underestimate my cost, in fact talks me up and gets me more than I would ask for the cake myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%