Fondant To Gumpaste Issue

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 6:42pm by Jeff_Arnett

Jeff_Arnett Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 7

I like using Satin Ice to make gum paste by adding a teaspoon of CMC to 1/4 pound of fondant....it makes a great GP that dries hard and fast.

However, no one in my area carries Satin Ice, so when I have to order it and pay shipping too, it becomes very expensive.

The local Michael's now carries the Duff line of cake products, including fondant. I tried converting it to fondant, but i've had no luck...even after adding 3 teaspoons CMC to 1/4 pound of the Duff fondant, it still won't dry enough to retain its shape.

Anyone else tried this?

6 replies
catlharper Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 7

Yup...it will get hard if you use over a tablespoon but still is sort of fragile. I did this for a cake in July and it worked fairly well but had to make extra pieces for breakage. It stays softer than using regular fondant or MMF. Try 2 tbs of tylose or CMC to the cup of fondant and see if that helps.

Cat

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:07am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

I like using to make gum paste by adding a teaspoon of CMC to 1/4 pound of fondant....it makes a great GP that dries hard and fast.

However, no one in my area carries , so when I have to order it and pay shipping too, it becomes very expensive.

The local Michael's now carries the Duff line of cake products, including fondant. I tried converting it to fondant, but i've had no luck...even after adding 3 teaspoons CMC to 1/4 pound of the Duff fondant, it still won't dry enough to retain its shape.

Anyone else tried this?

Duff's Fondant is Fondarific. It has too much fat in it to convert to gum paste easily or well.

A much better alternative--cheaper and resulting in an excellent, workable product-- is to add 1/2 tsp. of tylose or cmc to 1 lb. of Wilton fondant (or "some" Wilton's gum tex--don't have an exact amount). You can add more, but too much makes it brittle. I use this for figures and some flowers and love the results.

HTH
Rae

kristanashley Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:35am
post #4 of 7

what is cmc?

catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:04am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristanashley

what is cmc?

I believe it's like tylose.

carmijok Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:15am
post #6 of 7

It depends on how much you need, but I like Wilton's pre made Gum Paste. It works great. I just made some conchos for a western theme cake and they dried fast and hard. I prefer using gum paste over fondant for decor that needs some structure.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

It depends on how much you need, but I like Wilton's pre made Gum Paste. It works great. I just made some conchos for a western theme cake and they dried fast and hard. I prefer using gum paste over fondant for decor that needs some structure.

I like using Satin Ice fondant because it already comes in so many nice colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%