Looking For Advice On Storage For Rkt Covered In Fondant

Decorating By donnabmoss Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 3:15am by cakesrock

donnabmoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnabmoss Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 10

Have made a decoration out of rice krispy treats and covered and decorated with fondant. Do not need for the cake for a couple of weeks. Any suggestions for storage? icon_smile.gif

9 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:34am
post #2 of 10

Cardboard box not sealed with tape in a dry, cool place out of direct light and heat.

Rae

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 10

wow thats gonna be stale isnt it?

donnabmoss Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 10

can it not be frozen?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 5:12am
post #5 of 10

why do you have to make it so far in advance?? I really dont know about freezing,as I have never done that....however if you keep it wrapped tight in plastic wrap without it being covered in fondant you could nuke it for a little to freshen it up then cover it after its cooled. Thats all I got lol...maybe someone else knows...good luck

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 10

If it's just the top decoration, and will probably not be eaten, just do what Rae said.
And RKT keeps for a long time-longer if you leave out the butter.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 10

i had made two small 5 x 7 books to top my daughter's graduation cake out of RKT & covered in fondant about a week before needed. I had covered the RKT in Press & Seal, slight b/c glue, then the fondant and put them separately on wax paper in a large Tupperware container w/o refrigeration. she tried eating them after the party and they were stale, soft. If no one is going to be eating what you made, I would suggest doing as I did and what the first poster suggested and refrigerate or freeze. allow time to come to room temp before opening though because of the fondant. But seal the RKT with plastic wrap or something because it can smell stale too. why prepare so much in advance?

donnabmoss Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 10

it isn't that I had to make it so far in advance - it is that I DID and it turned out so good - I do not want to have to redo it.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 10

fondant and RKT treats (sealed before covering) won't go bad. they just have to be in an airtight container in relatively dry even temperature setting. i am hesitant to advise refrigerating or freezing (because of how fondant can sweat). But try it. just let it come slowly to room temp.
If when you go to use the items it appears dry, flat or cracking give it a spritz of water or PAM and wipe dry with papre towel. if it's moist from the freezer, dry off ith papre towel. good luck

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:15am
post #10 of 10

I ran out of actual cake for a building cake I'm making, so I did the RKT roof covered in ganache and tiled in fondant. I froze it because I am very busy and have to do things in stages (often quite far in advance). No problem freezing.... I freeze RKT treats I make for my kids all the time, as well as cakes covered in ganache and fondant. I just put it in an airtight container, then wrap in 2 garbage bags, pushing out as much air as possible. You'd never know it was ever frozen! Just be sure to allow the fondant time to air dry at room temp after you take it out - only 1-2 hours here (but it's dry here). OH, and don't paint or use RI or any decorations like that before you freeze!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%