Nfsc Problem!

Baking By ElissaB Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 12:16am by Newatdecorating

ElissaB Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 5

I attempted the NFSC recipe and it was a huge fail! I decided to half the recipe since I didn't need very many cookies. The dough was beyond crumbly and it was impossible to work with. Although I was able to cut out a few cookies which held their shape well after baking, the dough made the process miserable. I tried working with small amounts of dough at a time but no matter what, it was a crumbly mess. What am I doing wrong? Does it have anything to do with the fact that I halved the recipe? I used large eggs like many suggest. My freezer/fridge isn't big enough to roll the dough out and let sit in fridge, so I typically make the dough into a ball shape, wrap it in syran wrap and chill for an hour or so.

4 replies
redpanda Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 5

It sounds like either your butter and eggs were too cold (not room temperature) or you sused too much flour. Do you scoop your flour with the measuring cup and level off, or do you loosely spoon into your cup and then level? (Or, as I have seen once, do you scoop with the measuring cup, tap it down, and then level?)

What I learned in classes is that, unless the cookbook specifies otherwise, you should spoon the flour lightly into the cup and then level off.

susieqhomemaker Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 5

I half the recipe all the time and it comes out great. Just made some this weekend in fact. Do you roll it out with flour or between parchment or wax paper?
As soon as I get my dough ready, I roll out it out between sheets of wax paper,(leave it between the paper) and put in the fridge to cool and firm up.

I don't have a lot of room in my fridge either, so I do a couple of batches of dough rolled out in the wax paper and it stacks neatly in the fridge.

luv2bake6 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 5

crumbly = too much flour
Don't follow the amount of flour suggested in the recipe. Start adding the flour cup by cup and the consistency should be soft and not sticky.

Newatdecorating Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 5

Mine was right the opposite, this time and the last time I made it. Too sticky and then the cookies didn't keep their shape when they were baked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%