Can Someone Help Me?

Decorating By Sweet_P Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 5:09pm by Sweet_P

Sweet_P Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_P Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,
I'm new to the cake baking world and I was wondering if anybody could explain to me how I can make this cake?

www (dot) creative designs cakes (dot) com
www.creativedesignscakes.com
(There's no spaces in between the words, I just had to type it that way so that it wouldn't be marked as "SPAM")... icon_wink.gif

The website where I found this cake explained that the pattern was made from a CriCut machine (which I intend on purchasing icon_smile.gif ). However, my fiance & I are traditional and like chocolate and vanilla cake, so any tips/pointers on what recipes to use, or any help regarding making this cake, would be MUCH obliged!!! I know you must think I'm crazy for making our own wedding cake, but our entire wedding is personalized and I love baking. Also, I will be practicing other cakes between now & then, because I would love to learn how to work with fondant, BC, gumpaste, etc. Thanks in advance for any help!!

4 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 5

Best advice I can offer is to read everything on CC you can! There is a wealth of information here that you really can't find all in one place anywhere else! There are quite a few threads on the cricut machine, and lots of information on fondant and gumpaste....the good and the bad experiences cakers have had with a variety of different brands/recipes. Find what works best for you and PRACTICE on some small cakes to get the feel of all the different 'parts' you will need to put together for the big day! It can be done....lots of newbies have logged on to CC and are doing a great job on their cakes! Good luck, enjoy the learning!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 5

A while back a bunch of people (especially JanH using her incredible organization skills) posted a huge super-thread with just about everything you need to know about baking/stacking/icing/decorating a wedding cake.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html
My advice: Bookmark that link. Read every link inside it. Make lots of notes. Make practice cakes to figure out what works for you and what you need to work on. Enjoy eating your "mistakes." icon_smile.gif

That was before cricut, and I can't help you with that. So you'll do best to search for and read everything you can about cricut.

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 5

Don't wait on purchasing the cricut cake if that's your plan. It takes a LOT of practice to get the hang of it. I have had mine since May and I feel like there is still so much to learn. It took many attempts and a ruined cutting mat before anything was even successfully cut with my machine. Get it, read the manual, read everything you can on here about it and you'll be fine. But I would start practicing soon! Good luck and congrats on the wedding!

Sweet_P Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_P Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your help! I actually found a stencil set that I'm going to work with instead of the cricut machine... I just don't feel like I would have enough time to play around with the machine to get what I want for the wedding. But the site where I found my stencil set is similar to the style of the picture on the last site I posted. I found it here http://www.culinarystencils.com under the "Designer Side Cakes tab". Would you agree that working with a stencil is easier than the cricut machine?
Also, I completely agree that this is THEE best cake site EVER!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%