Walk Me Through Freezing And Frosting A Cake

Decorating By DebinD Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 4:03am by catlharper

DebinD Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 6

Okay - so I'm making a chocolate cake and white cake for my kids birthday and then I *think* using a marshmallow fondant. I've read that it is easier if the cake is frozen -but I'm not sure on when to freeze and when to thaw.

Based on what's I've pieced together online -

I'll bake the cakes,
let them cool 10-15mins
turn them out of pans.
Let them cool completely
Wrap in saran wrap
Freeze

On party day I was going to
unwrap,
put a filling layer between the layers and
put a crumb coat WHILE STILL FROZEN

Let it thaw and then decorate with MM fondant?

Is that about right?

5 replies
catlharper Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 6

I'll bake the cakes,
let them cool 10-15mins (about 5 mins is enough)
turn them out of pans.
Let them cool completely (level and torte into layers at this point)
Wrap in saran wrap (wrap each layer then all layers together in the wrap)
Freeze

On party day I was going to
unwrap,
put a filling layer between the layers and
put a crumb coat WHILE STILL FROZEN

Let it thaw and then decorate with MM fondant?

Yup...after you fill and crumbcoat the cake allow at least 3 hours for the cake to come to room temperature and settle.
HTH

Cat

DebinD Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 6

Great thanks -what do you mean by torte? do you mean cut into thiner layers if I'm doing that?

kakeladi Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

I do NOT recomment filling and cromb coating a cake while it is fzn. Cold yes, fzn no.

I highly recommend that you remove cake from fzr to frig 2 nights before needing it. Let it thaw in frig. Fill, crumb coat and finish completely. Let sit on counter until needed.

Oh, and to back up a bit......once the cake is removed from the pans let cool on wire/cooling rack only about 10-30 minutes, then wrap in plastic wrap, or a clean plastic bag. I save the plastic bag from hamburger/hot dog buns and put cakes in them to put in the fzr. The longer it is allowed to cool the more it is loosing moisture.

...........what do you mean by torte? do you mean cut into thiner layers ..........

Exactly.

DebinD Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #5 of 6

Just to be clear...

wrap it and freeze it still a bit warm....after leveling?
And so i need it Sat afternoon, so Thursday night take it out of the freezer, put it in the fridge and then Sat morning,
fill
crumb coat,
and then decorate with my MMF? and leave it out (even with a buttercream crumb coat) until cake cutting at 6pm?

catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:03am
post #6 of 6

Nope, do not put it into the fridge where it can dry out and absorb the odors of the other foods. Just take it right out of the freezer, fill, crumbcoat, let sit and settle for at least 3 hours and then do your final coating and decoration of fondant.

I know some who do chill the crumbcoated cake AFTER it's come to room temp and settled to chill up the outer layer of crumbcoating but you never want to put the final coat of fondant or BC on a cold cake. As it comes to room temp the air/gas will try to escape and you will end up with bubbles.

And, I allow my cake to cool completely on a wire rack, level it after cooled and then divide the cake into layers (torting) before wrapping. You don't want to try to do this after the cake comes out of the freezer, you can hurt yourself with flying knives off of frozen cake. Not kidding here..I've done it<G>

As for filling/crumbcoating while frozen, I do this with every single cake I make and have been doing this for 20 plus years. After coming on here I tried the "thaw it out then fill/crumbcoat" thing and I ended up dealing with a tender, mushy topped cake. I never did it that way again. Try it both ways, always remember to allow your cake to settle for at least 3 hours, then see what works best for you.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%