Basic Info For Cake Pops

Baking By Pickulz Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm by ILoveDaffodils

Pickulz Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 9

I saw a pic somewhere of cake pops...on a lollipop stick...can some one tell me a little more about it...
are they like cake balls on a stick? I gound a thread here on cakeballs but still have to read through the pages of info..and the first few pages talk more about flavor then how to actually make them...

so my questions are

-how do they not slide down the lollipop stick?
- is it basically a mixture of crumbled cake, bc icing, freeze them, and dip in melted chocoalte?

8 replies
kimbordeaux Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 9

I make cake balls but haven't made any on sticks. Have seen them on here though. When you make the cake balls you add enough icing and mush them together pretty good. This makes them pretty dense and sturdy. If you mold them around stick I'm sure they would stay. Plus the chocolate they are dipped in make a hard shell around cake ball. HTH!

~Kim

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 9

Go to www.bakerella.com

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ILoveDaffodils Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 9

I just tried this myself yesterday. I made cakeballs and froze them and rolled in chocolate. I dipped the lollipop stick into the chocolate before sticking it into the cake ball. This kept them from falling down the stick.

MariaK38 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 9

Bakerella also has a really good quick tutorial on amazon dot com on the page for her book about cake pops.

Pickulz Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks!!
I really want to try this out! Looks so yum!!
Can we use any icing...as in the canned one? Or is that too soft?

ILoveDaffodils Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 9

I used a frosting I made - peanut butter buttercream - but I think any frosting will work.

sugaah Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 9

I found if your cake is moist you do not need to mix in icing or flavored creamer or anything for a binder. It made my cake balls mushy, nasty, wet, yuk! But without it Pretty Good

ILoveDaffodils Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

I found if your cake is moist you do not need to mix in icing or flavored creamer or anything for a binder. It made my cake balls mushy, nasty, wet, yuk! But without it Pretty Good

I agree with sugaah. I used only a small amount of frosting, mostly to give it peanut butter flavor. I think it would have worked without any.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%