Organic

Baking By Harley7 Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 1:56am by Harley7

Harley7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harley7 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 16

Help! I have a client who wants a cake to be totally organic. The cake they've requested is something they have had before at a local restaurant. They love it! The problem is it's not organic, FAR from it! I don't mind adapting however my question is what do I use in place of oil? They don't want the oil and again they want it to be organic. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

G

15 replies
BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 16

Well....I dont know about anyone else...

But I have (successfully!) used organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my cakes just for that very reason. (most in chocolate and red velvet) And EVOO is a very good fat for you.

Some people want, and will pay for an 'all organic' cake. So make sure you charge appropriately!

Some have substituted applesauce in place of oil I believe if they're adament on zero oil.

But one thing I would say for sure, is to tell your clients that there is no garuntee that your cake will be like their favorite one at the resteraunt. Its just simply impossible to figure out 100% the ingredients, the quanities, ect and then convert it to their specific needs.

Good Luck!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 16

Whole Foods sells organic canola oil. They probably also sell organic versions of other ingredients, but you'll probably need to at least double the price of the cake to make any money.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 16

You can use organic applesauce for oil

BethLS Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 16

I wouldnt go the Canola oil route if they're looking for a healthier option to their cake...

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/canola.htm

jason_kraft Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

I wouldnt go the Canola oil route if they're looking for a healthier option to their cake...

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/new/canola.htm

You can probably find similar dire warnings for just about every potential ingredient used to make cakes.

BethLS Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 16

Yes of course, but the kicker here is that the Bride and Groom wanted an organic cake, which usually means they want a healthier (well, at least better for you) cake. So I threw that out there icon_wink.gif

No one can dispute that cake is cake. But EVOO is better for you than canola for sure.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 16

I wouldn't use EVOO in the cake. It has a very strong olive taste and can flavor your cake with it and it's not tasty.

I sub olive oil or more commonly applesauce. I would sub organic applesauce in place of the oil (1:1).

Also, making a cake organic is not hard and it doesn't alter the taste if you do it correctly.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 16

You can also get Virgin, raw organic coconut oil. It's liquid at 76 degrees or above. The only thing with the coconut oil is, it tastes like coconut in it's raw, organic form because it hasn't been deodorized. Don't know if it will work for you or not but I thought I'd throw it out there.

jason_kraft Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

I wouldn't use EVOO in the cake. It has a very strong olive taste and can flavor your cake with it and it's not tasty.

Same here. We've only used olive oil in a cake once, and that was because the customer had allergies to rapeseed (canola) and soy. The cake was edible but I certainly didn't want a second bite.

While it's true that olive oil is healthier than canola oil, if you look at the number of times per year people eat cake, the amount of canola oil consumed is negligible.

The customer looking for an organic cake may think that they are getting a healthier product, but these days the organic certification process has so many loopholes (see article below) it's essentially meaningless. Even if a product is actually organic, that does not mean it's healthy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/02/AR2009070203365.html

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandstuff

Ditto.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 16

You substitute the same amount of applesauce for the fat in your recipe.

This also works well with brownies.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:02am
post #13 of 16

Just because something is organic doesn't mean that it's healthier in terms of being low-fat. It just means that it was grown without chemical fertilizers or pesticides. Butter can be organic, anything can be organic. Do they want low-fat or organic? Two different hings.

On another note, if a client started telling how to alter my recipes I'd tell them that I won't do it, since I've worked to develop them so that hey perform a certain way. If they want to tell you what ingredients to use then maybe they should make the cake themselves icon_twisted.gif

Harley7 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 16

I can't thank you all enough for all the fantastic information!! The client didn't say whether it was the fat issue, it was just "we want organic, everything must be natural and from the area!" I will certainly check on the fat issue. I think I will try the applesauce idea and see how that goes. I'm doing a test run so wish me luck! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Again, THANK YOU!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:58pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandstuff

Ditto.

agree!

Harley7 Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:56am
post #16 of 16

Again, Thank you to all who responded to this post! I used the organic applesauce idea and the cake turned out beautifully. It was delicious and very moist!! The bride and Groom we're very happy!! THANK YOU!! I have posted a photo of the cakes! One was the her Birthday cake and the other was the wedding cake.

You all are the BEST!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%