Gift Box Cake - Top Edges

Decorating By jewelzbakescakes Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 3:53am by jewelzbakescakes

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 4

I have a question about a Tiffany box cake that I am making for my sister next weekend.

When you do a gift box cake how do you get the top edges, around the top smooth? I don't want to just add a band around the top to make the cover edge because there will be a seam. Do you just make a small cake layer bigger than the others and cover it separately in fondant?

Thanks!
Julie

3 replies
momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 4

The attached picture was my first gift box cake (it just happened to be topsy turvy also)

I simply rolled out a piece of fondant that was about 2 inches bigger in each direction. I ONLY put a bit a vodka (how I attach fondant accents) to the top edge and flat top portion so that I could freely remove the excess on the edges. I laid the fondant on and actually pinched the edges (which is NOT how I normally do squares but it works really well for the application) I cut the excess off the corners with regular (clean and sanitized) scissors and make sure the seem was well stuck to itself and I smoothed the seam with my finger until it was not at all noticable. I took my cake lifter (you could use a ruler) and made a straight line impression at the length I wanted to lid top to hang over. I then cut it with an exacto knife and gently lifted the edge to put a very scant brushing of vodka so it would stick. HTH icon_smile.gif Have a great day! Happy caking!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 4

ok if this try at uploading this pic doesnt work you can access it in my photos. It is a purple topsy turvy gift box cake

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:53am
post #4 of 4

Thanks very much for your reply momma28! I love your topsy turvy gift box cake, but all of your cakes are awesome. I will try your technique for sure, it definitely worked for you!

Julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%