Rant Regarding Pricing

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 6:50pm by TheBlonde

TheBlonde Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 7

Even my sister doesn't get it! She asked me to do a cake for her friend. She sent me a pic of it. It's a two tiered Halloween cake with a giant spider on the top carved out of cake and spider webs piped all over the cake. It's a BC cake so I'm charging $2/serving. She said it only needs to serve 25 people. I told her that a two tiered cake will serve more than 25 people. I told her if she wants a two tiered cake with the big spider on top it will have to be at least a 10" and 8" round which serves 45 therefore the price would be $90. I'm not even charging for all the piping and the carved spider on the top.

They couldn't believe the price and couldn't understand why they had to pay for more serving because they only wanted 25. So now they want just a 1 tier cake to serve 25 with spider on top and webs. So I told them that would be $50 and they still couldn't believe it! I'd like to see them go to a restaurant and try to get a serving of cake for less than $2!!!!

I give up. I really don't get along with my sister anyways so I could care less about doing the cake.

6 replies
BosCakes Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 7

i can understand her not wanting to spend more for servings she doesn't need; however, $2 per serving is not a lot, especially for the amount of work you'd have to put into it.

If you wanted, have her sit with you while you do all the work for another cake. My husband didn't understand why it took me so long to do a cake until he finally tried helping me this weekend. Now he understands why there's so much work involved, especially since what he was trying to help me with (cutting out "basic" shapes in fondant with an x-acto) was not as easy as he thought.

It's so hard to price for family and friends. My mom never hesitates to pay me whatever I ask, but my stepmom and her friends are always trying to get something for nothing, not to mention my "friends" that gasp at my prices. In the end, you're the one doing the work and you should get paid appropriately for doing that work. Would they work for nothing? NOPE!!

Vanessa7 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 7

I don't think regular people (other than those who live with or are close relatives with cake decorators) have a clue how much time and effort go into making cakes. Since I still consider myself a newbie at the cake decorating thing, I'm still not charging what I deserve just so I get the orders. $2 per serving is nothing for a carved cake! Stay firm on your pricing!

hilly Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 7

Why not do an 8 inch and a 6 inch? That would be 32 servings based on the wilton party serving chart.

TheBlonde Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 7

[quote="BosCakes"]i can understand her not wanting to spend more for servings she doesn't need; however, $2 per serving is not a lot, especially for the amount of work you'd have to put into it. quote]

I can understand that as well but they are not going to get a two tiered cake with only 25 servings. icon_smile.gif They just don't get it...

And in regards to the 8" and 6" cakes option. I was going to do that and offered to do that but they want want to spider on top to really stick out and the spider on top of a 6" wouldn't be big enough.

I really could care less either way. I don't need to make the cake. I'm busy enough and I'm sick of charging so little for all my hard work. $2/serving is a STEAL for that cake....

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 7

Why should I have to pay for a full gallon of milk when I only need 3/4 of a gallon? Why should I pay for a whole loaf of bread when I only need 4 sandwiches out of it? Why should I pay for all 8 hot dogs when I only need 2 for lunch? Why should I pay for a whole package of 100 skewers when I only need 50 of them? Why do I have to buy the package of 3 disposable aluminum pans when I only need one? (Yep! Still got the other two in my cabinet!).

Sis needs to grow up and stop stomping her little foot during her tantrum. She pays for things she "doesn't" need all the time in her daily life and never notices and never complains.

"I'm sorry I'm not in your budget. You might try walmart. Oh wait! They don't DO these kinds of cakes, do they?" icon_rolleyes.gif

P.S. $2/serving would be my charge just for picking up a pencil to design a cake like this. THEN I'd start adding the cost of the actual cake! icon_twisted.gif

TheBlonde Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Why should I have to pay for a full gallon of milk when I only need 3/4 of a gallon? Why should I pay for a whole loaf of bread when I only need 4 sandwiches out of it? Why should I pay for all 8 hot dogs when I only need 2 for lunch? Why should I pay for a whole package of 100 skewers when I only need 50 of them? Why do I have to buy the package of 3 disposable aluminum pans when I only need one? (Yep! Still got the other two in my cabinet!).

Sis needs to grow up and stop stomping her little foot during her tantrum. She pays for things she "doesn't" need all the time in her daily life and never notices and never complains.

"I'm sorry I'm not in your budget. You might try walmart. Oh wait! They don't DO these kinds of cakes, do they?" icon_rolleyes.gif

P.S. $2/serving would be my charge just for picking up a pencil to design a cake like this. THEN I'd start adding the cost of the actual cake! icon_twisted.gif

Love your examples!!! icon_smile.gif

I know $2/serving is really cheap but I was trying to give her a good deal since she's family. Even that wasn't good enough! Oh well....I have better things to do with my time than make a cake that I lose money on...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%