Naming Day Cake/ Cupcake Ideas

Decorating By Jaxlyn Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 10:46am by artscallion

Jaxlyn Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 7:32am
post #1 of 8

Were having a naming day celebration for my son 3.5years & my daughter 8 months. Ive got most of it sorted bar the cake!
I love making cakes so im going to attemt it myself, but am stuck for an idea of what to have ???

I thought maybe a big rectangle with there pictures & names on it - but i thought taht may be abit boring & formal. The whole theme is relaxed,casual & fun. So I thought maybe cupcakes. I had an idea of putting brightly coloured choc butterflies on brightly coloured cupcakes (from the hello cupcake book) but i thought they may be too girls for my son ??
It will be a summer day & aoutside but i have a outdoor fridge i can keep them in until serving time..

Anyway I thought id come to the best place i knew for insperation! So id love to hear any ideas! any would be muchly appreciated!!!

7 replies
brincess_b Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 8

I'd go with what ever u want. As long a it's not all pink I dont think butterflys is too girly.
Whenever I have free choice, I try to pick a skill I want to practice.
How many do u have to feed? Could end up making a lot of cupcakes, which ate trickier to store.

Cakes best served at room temp, so I wouldn't bring it straight out the fridge to serve. As long as the cakes in the shade (maybe with a fan in the vicinity) and u use a crisco based icing like indydebis, it should survive fine.
xx

7yyrt Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

Half butterflies & flowers and half caterpillars & green leaves?

Jaxlyn Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the ideas ladies! Im off to google some images icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:48am
post #5 of 8

You could make a caterpillar out of cupcakes (with a small cake as a head) like this (for your son):

http://cococakecupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/hungry-caterpillar-cupcake-party-train.html

And, following the same idea, you could make a flower out of cupcakes and place butterflies on top for your daughter, like this:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=5057

artscallion Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:04am
post #6 of 8

What is a naming day celebration?

Jaxlyn Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 6:22am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

What is a naming day celebration?

Its like a non religious christening. Its origions actually came before religion & was a legal thing of naming the child & accepting it into the family - something along the lines of that.
For us its a day for all the family to get to gether to celerbrate the 2 kids & name there (godparents) guardians/mentors.

It can be very simple or very detailed. Depending of what you want. There is no legal requirement. Usually done by a celerbrant of somesort icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj
Thanks for the links ill check them out icon_smile.gif

artscallion Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:46am
post #8 of 8

Sounds like a wonderful event. Thanks for the explanation!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%