What's The Procedure When Teaching?

Decorating By cakeladyatLA Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm by TexasSugar

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:01am
post #1 of 5

I am a cake decorating teacher, I make my own program, so basically I can teach whatever I want.
My question is, can you teach whatever you want?
I mean, I just went to the ICES convention and learn a lot, can I just teach whatever I learned at will?
Whats the protocol on someone else recipes?
Do you print their website or email?
I had never taken any classes before in my life, I learned bakery style.
Can you print out pictures from other websites and give out to the students?
How do you feel about this?

Thank you

Patty*

4 replies
Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 5

Not a teacher here but.. I would teach what you know. I don't think you'd have to follow a set program such as the wilton courses, but I might plan my program around them a bit if I was going to teach. The basics, the easier stuff first etc.

As for another persons recipe/s. If it was a personal recipe given to me, I would ask first, if it was okay to distribute the recipe to my students.

If its a recipe that has been posted on a cake website for other decorators to try, then I would have no problem passing it on to my students.

I would never print another persons email without asking permission.

Ditto for printing pictures from other cake websites. I would not do that.

I would however have a printed list of the cake websites I thought would be helpful. Such as Cake Central. thumbs_up.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

I did a VERY simple beginner's cake class for our local community ed program. My goal was to show them how to decorate without having to buy or invest in too much stuff. That being said, they all received some decorating bags and 4 tips. I printed some basic recipes and listed websites that are very helpful, CC included. I also included recipes that I have found online along with the original poster's name.

I took a portfolio of my cakes to show different ways simple ideas could be incorporated. We worked mainly in bc, but I showed them how to use a circle (biscuit/cookie) cutter to make a Duff rose and leaves.

In two hours we trimmed, filled, iced and smoothed 6" two layer cakes. We piped borders and decorated with the roses and leaves.
Everyone left with a decorated cake, and we had fun, too.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 5

I teach here and there. I don't do it for an income (retired), I teach mostly people who want to learn a certain technique (lambeth, lace embroidery, patchwork etc.). These are the fields that I excelle in so that's what I teach. I do also teach at the highschool (food prep) as a quest teacher where I teach how to bake, ice , etc., but they are teens LOL. I would stick with what you know. I don't think you should print and hand out anything that isn't yours without consent. It sounds to me that you have a good handle on what your doing. Good luck.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 5

If you can contact the people you got the recipes from, then I would do that and ask permission. If it is something that person has posted in the internet, then I would make sure that you share the location it came from as well, so you can give them credit. I wouldn't share recipes that come out of books, personally.

Instead of printing alot of things out I think I'd probably just give them a list of link or places they can find things. Mainly because you want to always give credit where credit is due.

If you can teach what you learned with your spin on it, then I would do that. If you plan to teach pretty much exactly what they taught, then I would pass. Many of the people at the convention that do demo' also teach classes, and are kind enough to share at the convention.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%