Cake Pans...fat Daddios Vs Wilton Vs Magic Line

Decorating By Erin3085 Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm by Karen421

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:33am
post #1 of 32

I am slowly but surely building up my cake pan collection and have come to a crossroads. As of now, I only have Wilton pans that I got from Michaels or WM. But the 3 aforementioned pan brands are easily accessible to me and I'm wondering, for those of you fellow cakers with more experience, which of the 3 do you like the most?

31 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #2 of 32

There have been dozens of threads on this subject. And of all the ones I've read, there is a definite consensus that Magic Line is, by far, the best...though a few will say they prefer one of the others.

vwolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vwolf Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:43am
post #3 of 32

I also have some wilton that I bought when I was taking classes, but since then have been buying Magic Line. I really like them, they bake evenly and sheet and square cakes have really nice sharp corners ad edges.

Erin3085 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #4 of 32

Shoot...I didn't find any threads on it! I'm not so forum literate either. lol. Sorry. icon_redface.gif Thank you for the replies though!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 32

I use Magic Line pans, but I do have wilton pans. The wilton ones I have are mostly character pans. I find that the Magic Line work really well. Like vwolf said nice sharp corners on the square pans.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:59am
post #6 of 32

Magic Line all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #7 of 32

Magic Line Magic Line Magic Line!

That's all I use, and they're easily worth the little bit of extra money you pay. They are heavier, bake more evenly, and you can't beat those SQUARE edges!

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:19am
post #8 of 32

Magic line..love those pans.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:34am
post #9 of 32

Magic Line is worth every penny you will spend thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:36am
post #10 of 32

LOVE - LOVE - LOVE my Magic Line! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Erin3085 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 32

And the clear winner is! icon_biggrin.gif I'm really in the market for a good set of squares, so those sharp edges are most important. Thank you all! icon_smile.gif

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:17pm
post #12 of 32

I'll be a dissenting vote and go with Fat Daddios icon_smile.gif However my vote isn't really fair since I have yet to try Magic Line pans. Magic Line pans are $$$$$ up here and since I can't get them locally I have to factor shipping in on top of that. For what I do the Fat Daddios are great, I get straight corners and level cakes and they bake nicer than in my Wilton pans. I'm slowly changing all my pans over to FD 3" pans.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 32

I have all three brands. Magic Line is by far, hands down, without a doubt the best pan available.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #14 of 32

I've got all three also. Magic line all the way!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 32

I have all three, Wilton is crap, Magic Line is good, I adore my Fat Daddios. You can't go wrong with either of the higher quality two, but avoid those Wilton pans if at all possible. So thin and have so many other quirks.

DarleneP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DarleneP Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:03pm
post #16 of 32

I have all 3 also and I can make all 3 work for me. So far, I have to say the Fat Daddios have given me the best consistent results. (less humps in the center - and edges cook nicely- golden browning and easy to clean....) I am by no means an expert but it is my findings....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #17 of 32

Agreed, Magic Line are top of the line. I do have a few Fat Daddios (I bought them out of desperation when I needed pans those sizes and Magic Line was out of stock) and surprisingly I like them! I didn't think I would. I don't like them nearly as much as my Magic Lines though, and ANYTHING is better than Wilton! icon_confused.gif

dsr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsr Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #18 of 32

Magic Line!! icon_biggrin.gif

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:07am
post #19 of 32

I haven't tried Magic Line as I wasn't able to get them locally. I just traded all my wiltons for Crown, which is a huge improvement.

NewtoConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewtoConfections Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:17am
post #20 of 32

Not to hijack this thread and I'm going to probably be sorry I asked but what's the issue with Wilton those are the only ones I've ever used just bought a set today for a wedding cake but before I open them should I look into Fat Dadio's or Magic Line?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoConfections

Not to hijack this thread and I'm going to probably be sorry I asked but what's the issue with Wilton those are the only ones I've ever used just bought a set today for a wedding cake but before I open them should I look into Fat Dadio's or Magic Line?

You're fine. Most of us who have experience with Wilton pans have found the quality to be inferior -- from how they bake to how they hold up. Magic Line pans are super expensive but a great investment.

artscallion Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:31am
post #22 of 32

Plus most of the Wilton pans have slanted sides so they can fit inside each other, stacked on the shelves. I usually like my cakes to have straight sides right out of the pan so I don't have to trim them. Magic Line has perfectly vertical sides.

NewtoConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewtoConfections Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:32am
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Plus most of the Wilton pans have slanted sides so they can fit inside each other, stacked on the shelves. I usually like my cakes to have straight sides right out of the pan so I don't have to trim them. Magic Line has perfectly vertical sides.

Artscallion thank you that would totally explain why I can never get a cake to stack perfectly! Thanks for the tips ladies those pans will be going back I'll be ordering a set of Magic Line tomorrow.

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:

My Wilton pans do NOT stack inside each other! I have mostly Wilton Decorator Preferred pans. The only Magic Line pans I have are my 4.5" and 6" square, since Wilton doesn't make those sizes.

That said, I really find no discernible difference in the pans. My Wilton squares and sheets bake up with little hump, perfectly vertical sides and sharp, crisp corners.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Toni Ann

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:05pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoConfections

I think it's the sets that are sold sealed all together in cellophane that you should be most wary of. They are VERY flimsy. I bought a hexagonal set and was very disappointed with the quality, but didn't have any other option (now I wish I'd bought good square pans and cut the cake down into hexes but at the time I didn't think about it...)
IMO the 'Decorator Preferred' Wilton aren't too bad - the ones that are sold individually.

artscallion Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:20pm
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2wheels

My Wilton pans do NOT stack inside each other! ...

That's why I said "Most Wilton pans...". They do have one line that has straight sides.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:23pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2wheels

Quote:

My Wilton pans do NOT stack inside each other! I have mostly Wilton Decorator Preferred pans. The only Magic Line pans I have are my 4.5" and 6" square, since Wilton doesn't make those sizes.

That said, I really find no discernible difference in the pans. My Wilton squares and sheets bake up with little hump, perfectly vertical sides and sharp, crisp corners.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Toni Ann

WOW you are very lucky, my Wilton squares have rounded edges and have to trimmed to be square. That is why I switched to Magic Line. icon_lol.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:54pm
post #28 of 32

I never tried Fat Daddios. Between the other two, do not doubt it, Magic Line is the BEST.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:23pm
post #29 of 32

I haven't tried Magic Line, but I'm in LOVE with my Fat Daddios. I have all kinds of products from this line and I've never been disappointed.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #30 of 32

I think this is another scenario where there isn't anything *wrong* with Wilton, it's just that after you try some of the higher quality brands available, you realize that Wilton pans are a more affordable solution, and that is reflected in little details like the thickness of the metal. I have made plenty of gorgeous cakes using Wilton pans, and have many that I still use, however, in an ideal world, I like the higher end pans more. It's not like anyone is saying, "You're a loser if you use Wilton" (at least I'm not... I guess I should only speak for myself) I'm just saying that there is BETTER out there, and if you can invest in them, you will mostly likely not be disappointed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%