Cake Alchemy Sheet Pans?

Decorating By jimagination Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 2:28am by jimagination

jimagination Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I watch Amazing Wedding Cakes and notice Cake Alchemy using pans that look more like a 1 in or 1 1/2 in deep sheet cake pan. Is this possible or are my eyes playing tricks on me and if so is it just a jelly roll pan?

6 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

I'd call those jelly roll pans. I have 2 non-stick ones that deep from Calphalon. Got them cheap at an outlet and I love them for cookies, but I've never baked a cake layer in them.

Buddy Valastro uses them sometimes, too. They bake 1- 1.5" layers of "sponge" cake and cut the shapes and sizes they need. Baking such thin layers means no central hump, so they don't have to level the layers. They build up a tier out of 3 or 4 layers and filling.

Rae

bakingpw Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 7

Not sure what you saw on the show, but I use european sheet pans, which are much sturdier than regular sheet pans, but best of all they have straight 1" sides. They are perfect for cakes, and especially bars.

bakingpw Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 7

Not sure what you saw on the show, but I use european sheet pans, which are much sturdier than regular sheet pans, but best of all they have straight 1" sides. They are perfect for cakes, and especially bars.

jimagination Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 7

Cool! Thanks so much!!!! I will check and try both methods!!!

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 7

You can find the 1" straight sided pans here:

http://lloydpans.com/C-1000061/Cookie+Sheets-Jelly+Roll

I've ordered from Lloyds Pans and their great quality & service.

HTH
Rae

jimagination Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:28am
post #7 of 7

thank you so much- I couldnt find any online!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%