Dora

Decorating By mike83 Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 4:34am by cakerookie8915

mike83 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 9

Next month I am suppose to be making a sculpted dora cake like my spongebob cake. I've looked and can't find many people that have attempted this. Is it really that tricky and has anyone attempted this?

8 replies
MamaSonya Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 9

Just last month food network had a foodnetwork challenge "Dora Cakes" . You may be able to find pictures online. www.foodnetwork.com
The cakes are pretty amazing even if you don't plan on doing anything that spectacular maybe you can get some ideas. If you are looking for something simple wilton has a dora cake pan.

DeezTreatz Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 9

I have seen Dora Cake pans - http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-6300
They usually come with instructions for icing it! HTH

weirkd Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 9

If you use the wilton egg pan for her head and then you can either use stacked cakes and carve the body (I would just do the top half instead of her whole body). Dowel it in the middle and use an oval shaped separator plate.

cakeythings1961 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 9

I do birthday cakes for a local social service agency that provides them for kids living in various homeless and domestic violence shelters, and I have had SO many requests for Dora cakes!!! I have done the Wilton cake pan, FBCT, etc. My favorite was a little molded Dora on top of a petal cake.

But I've never tried a carved Dora (obviously not very practically for what I do!) I sure hope you'll post a photo of the cake when you figure it out. I would love to see it!

hausofcake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 7:37am
post #6 of 9

She isn't too detailed so if you pulled Spongebob off (looks amazing!) which you did you will be able to do Dora.
I would just put down a few rectangles and get a template and carve around her. Then use the scraps to bulk her head and arms and legs out.
Or maybe you could do cake body and head and then fondant arms and legs etc?

Sorry thats not much help but tracing around a template then bulking her out to her basic shape will be an easy start.

MamaSonya Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 9

Well I did a cake back in November for my daughter it was a dor a and diego. I focussed more on the scene than actually on Dora. My daughter (3 yrs old) loved it she started telling me a wholes story that went along with the theme. I tried to add a picture to this but it didn't work for some reason, just click on the link for my cake photos and you can check it out.

tsal Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 9

I just did a Dora cake (latest pic in profile). I made a gumpaste appliqué rather than sculpting.

cakerookie8915 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:34am
post #9 of 9

I saw this Dora cake a while ago. It's not carved but I think if you showed up with a cake that looked like this, no one would complain icon_wink.gif. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1784045

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%