Food Safe?

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 11:29pm by JustGettinStarted

JustGettinStarted Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 10

How do I know if something is food safe? For example, I've seen videos of people using "bench scrapers" and it looks to me like something from the hardware store, but if it is, how do I know if it can be used on my cake? Is there some guideline somewhere? TIA!

9 replies
ninatat Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 10

i would make sure it's stainless steel

Uniqueask Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 10

The bench scrapers most of us uses, is the one from Sharon Z's website, you can also get it from Bed Bath and Beyond.
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/_product_85696/Bench_Scraper
it costs the same except shipping.

JustGettinStarted Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks! anyone else? What about any other products? Is the only guideline for food safe stainless?

Cake bases (boards)?

What about dowel rods? Are there special ones, or will any I can find work?

Can't think of anything else specific off the top of my head, but just want to know in general, if I have an idea about something, how do I know it's food safe?

TIA

indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 10

When I'm handed a plastic bench scraper from my Pillsbury sales rep, then I'm thinking it's probably food safe! icon_biggrin.gif

If it can be sanitized, then it can be used for food.

I know a very well known and talented bakery owner who gives demos on using old (sanitized) credit cards for mini-bench scrapers. She said those "junk" credit cards you get in the mail are perfect (the ones that pretty much say "You can get a real card that looks just like this one!") The key is to SANITIZE them.

JustGettinStarted Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks indydebi! I had just read about not being able to use rubber stamps and other things and to always make sure things are "food safe" so I got very paranoid. How do you go about sanitizing your things?

ninatat Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 10

i got mine at j-ann's i thought you meant like a putty knife but this works great don't forget to shop with coupon, i don't put a lot in my dishwasher, Dawn soap and hot water are fine, i think just about everyone uses Dawn dish soap it cut's the grease the best. Edna's video on u-tube show's you the correct way to use it.

indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGettinStarted

How do you go about sanitizing your things?

When I had the comm'l kitchen, I had a sanitizing solution (from Eco-Lab; automatic dispenser into my santizing sink). My dishwasher was also set up with a comm'l grade sanitizer. So I either hand washed and run them thru the 3rd sink of sanitizer; or just ran them thru my dishwasher.

now that I'm at home, I use a bleach water solution. BTW, that's also the system used by the hotel I work at since they don't have the Eco-Lab system.

You want to watch porous materials. Porous materials have little craters that germs and bacteria can crawl into and hide.

JustGettinStarted Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:19am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone!

JustGettinStarted Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 10

also, does anyone know if the Wilton stamens are food safe or do I need to make a barrier between it and the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%