Cake Release

Decorating By allisonlalla Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 6:24pm by lynndy-lou

allisonlalla Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying to bake quite a few 8 inch square cakes and I was doing some prep work by baking the cakes in advance and the two I made didn't come out of the pan well at all. I don't encounter this problem with round cakes. I use Wilton's cake release but is there something I am missing with the square pan? After I took the cake out of the over I let it sit for 10 minutes and then took it out of the pan. Could this have anything to do with it? Should it have sat longer?

Thanks in advance,

6 replies
rosannar4 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 7

You probably just needed to use a little more of the cake release. Make sure you coat the pans generously. I l always go around mine with a rubber spatula before I remove them just to make sure that there are not stuck corners. Sorry to hear about that. I hate it when that happens! icon_smile.gif

Bfisher2 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 7

agreed... probably not enough cake release.... and you can make your own...

1 cup flour
1 cup veg shortning
1 cup oil...

mix it all together and you have cake release.... icon_wink.gif

cakesnglass Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 7

I have used the 1-1-1 cake release for years, great stuff. I mix in the mixer get nice and creamy and put in a plastic container in the frig. When you need it just apply with a brush ( good pastry brush use only for this purpose stored in a plastic baggy in the frig.) and your ready to bake... icon_smile.gif Great for casseroles or anytime you need a non-stick in your pans.

pmarks0 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 7

I've always used the Wilton Cake Release but found it didn't always prevent sticking and I did spray fairly liberally. This weekend I had a couple of cakes to make and made my own cake release using the equal parts formula of shortening-oil-flour (I used 1/2c of each) and mixed it up til creamy in my mixer. Painted that on and it worked extremely well.

countrycaker Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 7

I use the homemade recipe as well and have never had any problems with it. Also, I take my cakes out of their pans no longer than 2 minutes after I've pulled them from the oven, and often with no waiting time at all.

lynndy-lou Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 7

Well you learn something new every day, I had no idea you could make it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%