Buttercream Recipe Made With Heavy Cream

Baking By livabeth Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm by icer101

livabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livabeth Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 3

I love buttercream frosting made with about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of heavy cream to 1 lb of icing sugar and 1 cup butter, but have always wondered if it needs to be refrigerated or can it stay out of the refrigerator in a cool location??

I find that when you ice cupcakes and then put them in the fridge, you lose the moistness of freshly baked cupcakes and therefore would prefer a buttercream frosting that you don't have to refrigeration.

Thanks for your advice. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 3

I live in a very warm climate and have always added heavy whipping cream to my buttercream as my liquid. I do add little salt too (so I will dissolve)in the cream, I like to warm (in Micro) till warm then add to my butter/hi-ratio shortening. I find my icing is much creamier and less air pockets when liquids are warm. I have also tried warm water mixed with powdered creamer ( saw in video) and liked the results, I did add 1tblsp of dry whip topping to my sugar when I used the powdered creamer. Left out in a/c room as much as 3 days and never had a problem (did test), outdoors will be fine that day. Your delish cake hopefully won't have leftovers. icon_smile.gif Hope this helps.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 3

When i make american b/c, i also use hi-ratio shortening and unsalted butter and heavy whipping cream.(delicious). i don,t use any meringue powder and it crusts great. I am told by another person from her website, that the sugar preseveres the milk and butter. Severl days later, it is better that the first day. Your cupcake will be fine to leave in an airtight container and not in frigde. Putting in frigde will dry them out. hth also, i make enought to fill my mixer , like sugarshack does. and it comes out really smooth , and easy to ice my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%