Bettercreme Questions

Decorating By fairmaiden0101 Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 2:43am by JanH

fairmaiden0101 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:01am
post #1 of 7

Ok so I have found bettercreme at my local Sams club and a mock whipped topping at a cake supply store here which they say is the same thing. Now, I talked to 3 different ppl at these stores and they all say that the bettercreme needs to be kept refrigerated, they say it is not to be used to fill a cake that is left out, such as a fondant covered cake. I know there are ppl on here that say that they use it all the time to fill their cakes and it can be used on a product that is not refrigerated for approx. 5 days - I am just wondering what the answer is? The product is refrigerated when you go to buy it, will it break down if used as a filling and left out over night? Why the conflicting info? Plus, I want to make sure no one gets sick on something that should be kept cold? Any advice? TIA

6 replies
deMuralist Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:28am
post #2 of 7

I am pretty sure that the Bettercreme (Rich's brand) container actually says you can leave it out for up to 5 days. I have and it was still wonderful.

Maybe the confusion comes in different brands having slightly different ingredients?

Also, you may want to look up Melvira (here on CC) she is the queen of Bettercreme, and there is quite a long thread on here with all things Bettercreme that she started....

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193-bettercreme.html

enjoy!

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:33am
post #3 of 7

I don't have any "specfics", but I seem to recall that the pre-whipped Bettercreme product (sort of a Cool Whip equivalent?) isn't "shelf stable" for 5 day. I don't know why, and I don't know how it differs from their other products.

The frozen, liquid Bettercreme that you whip yourself, is shelf stable. I use it for all of my "mousse" style fillings. I keep the quart cartons in my freezer all the time.

Rae

all4cake Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:21am
post #4 of 7

The pre-whipped is 'shelf stable' (ambient room temperature) for 5 days. It states so on the bucket. As a former Sam's Club bakery associate, features were set up using both buttercream and bettercreme away from the refrigerated case. It tends to get a dry airy texture the warmer it gets...I thought it was like Floam in consistency when out of refrigeration. I use it as a filling combined with other stuff...I've not used it alone as a filling though.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 7

Bettercreme does not need refrigeration once the cake is finished. The refrigeration thing is a misnomer because while we're working with it, it does need to be chilled. It doesn't spread or pipe well when it's warm. But, once the cake is finished, it can sit out for 5 days, as long as the temp is under 80 degrees. If it's chilled, it can sit out even longer.

All this info is on the carton/bucket.

And does anyone know of any moderators? I think we need to let them know about Sabir. . .

fairmaiden0101 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Bettercreme does not need refrigeration once the cake is finished. The refrigeration thing is a misnomer because while we're working with it, it does need to be chilled. It doesn't spread or pipe well when it's warm. But, once the cake is finished, it can sit out for 5 days, as long as the temp is under 80 degrees. If it's chilled, it can sit out even longer.

All this info is on the carton/bucket.

Is this just true for Richs bettercreme? Sams club sells bettercreme but I don't know if it is that brand.

JanH Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 2:43am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden0101

Is this just true for Richs bettercreme? Sams club sells bettercreme but I don't know if it is that brand.

Bettercreme is the trademarked name for Rich's non-dairy icing/filling:

http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%