Chocolate Fondant

Baking By KaddyGal Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 2:50pm by KaddyGal

KaddyGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaddyGal Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!
My chocolate fondant is in need of some serious help. It's very brittle and cracks when I roll it out. I tried adding some crisco. Didn't really help much. It just continued to tear. It was almost like a pie dough rather than a fondant. The recipe I used had melted chocolate chips in it. I've also used a recipe that has a choco powder. They were both very difficult to work with. Any suggestions, please? Thanks so much!

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 7

can you tell us the recipe that you did use. That might help .

KaddyGal Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 7

The recipe I used was one I got off CC:

True Black MMF
Ingredients

* 6 oz. of semi sweet chocolate chips (about half of a bag)
1 bag of mini marshmallows
3 tbsp. of clear Karo syrup
3 tbsp. water
1 1lb. bag of powdered sugar
gel black food coloring
Crisco

Instructions

1. Put your marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir mixture, and microwave for another minute. When marshmallows come out they will be HOT, stir again, scraping the sides with a scraper. Immerdiately add your chocolate chips, and stir until the chips are completely melted. Add your karo syrup and stir again this time with a butter knife, making sure that all of your syrup is incorporated. Add a good amount of black gel food coloring, and stir again with your knife, making sure that you scrape around the edges. Once your mixture is the blackest black that you can get, (I added about 1-2 tsp. of the gel coloring) then add about half of your bag of powdered sugar, and stir until the mixture is thick, with your knife. Grease your hands liberally with Crisco and add the rest of the powdered sugar* to the bowl. Knead your fondant until all of the powdered sugar is gone. Store for up to a month wrapped in plastic wrap, sealed in a gallon Ziploc, and stored in an airtight container.
3. *Depending on the humidity in your area it might take a little more powdered sugar, or even a little less to get the consistancy of fondant.

It did not work out so well for me...

J_Ann96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J_Ann96 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 7

I used a regular MMF recipe and added Coco Powder (about a 1/2 cup)in place of some of the powdered sugar,and a tablespoon of light corn syrup.

KaddyGal Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:04am
post #5 of 7

Did it have the same texture as regular MMF?

J_Ann96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J_Ann96 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 7
KaddyGal Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 7

It said the content was unavailable... icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%