Covering A Large Cake In Fondant

Decorating By KaddyGal Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 7:57pm by KaddyGal

KaddyGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaddyGal Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 11

Hi everybody!
So I make a wedding cake this weekend. It was fondant covered. The largest base was 16 inches. It was a huge task for me to cover it on fondant. Is this normal? I did use home made MMF. Never have any problems with it. But I couldn't hardly roll the fondant out to be big enough to cover entire cake. Any suggestions for next time?
Thank so much guys!

10 replies
lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 8:50am
post #2 of 11

You just need a very large work space and the longest rolling pin you can afford

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:06am
post #3 of 11

pvc pipe works great for a rolling pin.. and it is fairly inexpensive

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:14am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeCake

pvc pipe works great for a rolling pin.. and it is fairly inexpensive

Thats a good idea, never thought of that.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:41am
post #5 of 11

Im very lucky in the sense, that my mum had alot of cake stuff before i started, And naturally, that got handed down to me icon_smile.gif that included several marble rolling pins, ranging in size from 6'' to 18'' . . Bad news however, my house doesnt have big enough work surfaces!

it is a big task, especially when it comes to putting the fondant on the cake! You can buy fondant lifters, which would come in very handy but i made my own out of some plastic sheeting from the DIY store icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40032&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45

That is an excellent thread on cake lifters icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 11

You could try rolling your MMF out on a dusted 24" cardboard cake circle (shake the circle occasionally to make sure it isn't sticking), then slide it off directly onto your cake.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 11

if the cake is stacked directly one ontop of the other, I measure the height of the tier and add enough to the top that will cover the edge and go under the next tier.

Example:
14 in round and a 12 inch round
tier height 4" plus a minimum of 1.5" for the top edge = 5.5" i usually
bump it up to at least 6"

measure the circumference of the cake then roll out a fondant strip to that length and cut a strip 6" wide and wrap around the cake and smooth over the edge, trim nice and neat, spackle if need be or cover with decorations

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

You could try rolling your MMF out on a dusted 24" cardboard cake circle (shake the circle occasionally to make sure it isn't sticking), then slide it off directly onto your cake.

CWR41
That is a brilliant idea !!! thumbs_up.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

CWR41
That is a brilliant idea !!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks! It makes it easier for larger tiers when nothing else seems to work, especially with MMF that tends to stretch.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 11

I was going to suggest like dguerrant did, if there is a way the design will allow you to cover the cake in pieces rather than one large piece, then I would do that. Kinda like how you would for an extra tall cake.

KaddyGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaddyGal Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 7:57pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone!!
Some great advice. I get to try it out next weekend! icon_smile.gif
Anyway...with this last cake, I did try covering it in two different pieces. And I ended up having to do a TON of covering up! Any words of wisdom on getting it to blend nicely??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%