Spongebob Disaster

Decorating By shannonmarie77 Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 5:18am by shannonmarie77

shannonmarie77 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 14

This is my first time really baking anything other than a sheet cake with canned frosting. I wanted to make a spongebob cake for my dd's birthday party.

I did a tiered cake with 3 different flavors of cake( chocolate with chocolate chips, french vanilla, and confetti) and 4 different flavors off mmf (vanilla almond with chocolate cake, blue raspberry with vanilla, and lemon lime and vanilla for the decorations).

I stacked the cakes and did all the decorating except for the frosting decorations. I go to finish it and i find that the cake plate i had it on has cracked and broken so now it is slumped towards the back and bulging (i let it settle over night once filled) from the dip of the back of the plate falling off and moving it. Oh, and all the fondant decorations fell off. =(

I still have to take it an hour away tomorrow so it probably is going to be a pile of cake when i get there. I was so aggravated i did minimal decorations and stuck it back in it's box. If it survives the trip I am going to tell them that i wanted the cake to look like boulders and it was a very complicated carving technique....lol.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1794378&done=1

13 replies
sugarandstuff Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:16am
post #2 of 14

That's too bad - it's a cute cake. Did you level and dowel your layers for support?

shannonmarie77 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 14

I added 5 dowels to the lower layer and then put a cake board between the bottom and upper layer and a dowel going through the middle. I also used 2 dowels to stick the pineapple cake on. I had let the cakes set overnight with a book on top once filled also.

The whole back of the cake plate broke off so it sat there for hours with it slumping down from the middle of the cake back. I think the pineapple's weight didn't help it any.

Melvira Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:25am
post #4 of 14

I'm so sorry you had trouble, but it did turn out cute. Especially if it's your first time. Keep your chin up! thumbs_up.gif

sweetnessx3 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 14

You got your first one done and yes , you had problems but you learned from them icon_smile.gif they will get better and better ! Its a very cute cake though !!!

Spectra Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:42am
post #6 of 14

Really cute cake though. icon_smile.gif Did you use a special recipe like adding additional ingredients to a cake mix or scratch or straight up box cake mix? I know my first cake I did for my cake course was straight box mix and it was so light and it cracked SO easily! I never use just a straight mix anymore, I use a doctored one, so I don't have to worry about the cake falling apart.

DefyGravity Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 14

I think you did a great job!! The flowers you piped were spot on! thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:13am
post #8 of 14

Your cake is adorable! I'm sorry this happen. It might have been the dowels, I had it happen once because of them. Dowels can displace the cake and cause it to push out. Try bubble tea straws or SPS,next time. Technically with the correct support you can stack angel food cake. icon_lol.gif

shannonmarie77 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:25am
post #9 of 14

Thank you for the replies, I feel a lot better about it. icon_biggrin.gif

Next time I will try the straws.

I used straight cake mix because I had tried the dense cake recipe in the 6 inch pan (3 inch tall) and it cooked fine but once it started cooling the center collapsed. icon_surprised.gif

JanH Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:34am
post #10 of 14

Did you use canned frosting on this cake (for filling or frosting)?

JanH Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:37am
post #11 of 14

Did you use canned frosting on this cake (for filling or frosting)?

Ivy383 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:07am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonmarie77

Thank you for the replies, I feel a lot better about it. icon_biggrin.gif

Next time I will try the straws.

I used straight cake mix because I had tried the dense cake recipe in the 6 inch pan (3 inch tall) and it cooked fine but once it started cooling the center collapsed. icon_surprised.gif

My experience is that plain cake mix cakes to do not hold up fondant well. Maybe that was the problem?

mbark Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:11am
post #13 of 14

I think it was the cake plate breaking that made her cake fall apart

shannonmarie77 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:18am
post #14 of 14

Jan, it was homemade buttercream on the top layer and homemade chocolate butter cream on the bottom and as the filing.

I had moved it after the break and by time i arrived to the destination it was leaning pretty far back but luckily it did not have a chance for the top layer to slide all the way off. Like somebody told me once the best thing about making cakes is that you can eat the evidence if it gets messed up...lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%