Help! Major Mmf Problems For Cake Due Tomorrow!

Baking By julesh268 Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 12:49am by julesh268

julesh268 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 6

HELP! I am making little bridesmaids out of brown mmf. I made their tops and they are already dried. I am trying to roll out the fondont to put on the little cakes, but I can't get it to be elastic. I have done dark colors before with no problem. I just don't know what to do. I would make a new batch, but the chances of me matching the browns (to the tops already made) is slim to none and I don't have time to make it, let it set, and then make the tops so they can dry.

Is there a way to save this fondont? I have tried adding water, crisco, ps, and tylose. It is tearing too easily and doesn't have a nice smooth texture to it.

I am starting to freak out as I have to leave to go to work in 3 hours!

5 replies
julesh268 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

Well, thanks for all of the responses. icon_wink.gif Disaster averted! I stepped back and decided to take a fresh clump of mmf and just work with it without adding anything to it. Bingo I think because I thought it was dry I added water, then more ps, the crisco...soon I didn't have mmf anymore. For those who talk about elephant skin I think the culpret is the crisco...but I could be wrong. That seemed to make it fall apart. You just need enough to coat it.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 6

I didn't see this earlier, but sometimes when your mmf is too hard to work with, it can be salvaged by microwaving it for a few seconds. Don't microwave too long or it will melt and burn you when you touch it.

weirkd Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 6

Tylose is for things to dry faster. That could of changed the consistancy. If you wanted stretch then you could of used gelatin or gum trag.

DefyGravity Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 6

icon_sad.gif Sorry, I just got home and didn't see the thread. I'm going to echo Texas_Rose and say that sticking MMF in the microwave for a few seconds can make a world of difference!

julesh268 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tip on the microwave! I actually considered it a few times, I don't know why I don't listen to my gut.

Also, thanks for the tip on gelatine or gum trag!

Quote by @%username% on %date%