Build Up Icing

Decorating By JustGettinStarted Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 4:45am by indydebi

JustGettinStarted Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 3

How do I build up with icing? For example if my cake isn't 100% level, how to I add icing to make it level? Or if I'm doing a Monster Truck cake and am supposed to build up the bumper, how do I do that? I always end up pushing too hard or something and icing to the cake, not the shape I want it to be. And on the sides of the cake, it seems like it would fall off (in the bumper example).

What technique do I use? Do I need to do lots of layers and let it dry in between or what?

2 replies
deMuralist Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 3

Are you using BC?

On the monster struck cake I would find a photo of one on CC and pm the poster to get directions.

On the not quite level cake you should just be able to crumbcoat it then ice it ignoring the fact that it is not level (although it would be best to level first) and then let it crust slightly and then smooth. My icing is usually between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick, maybe slightly more on top, and I have not had it fall off.

There was also a forum within the last month that showed another method, but I can't find it.

indydebi Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:45am
post #3 of 3

NOT icing to the shape of the cake just takes a lot of practice. Trust me ... been there! icon_cry.gif It's first of all a mindset. We get these paradigms in our heads from when we are little ("color inside the lines" ..... "follow the rules" .... "deal clockwise") and its hard to let go of them.

You'll get there! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%