Re Ice A Cake?

Decorating By melba76 Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 1:54pm by lynndy-lou

melba76 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:55am
post #1 of 4

I iced a cake last night with fondant. the mother asked for stripes. I have never done it before but the pint I used seems to have cracked and now remember I only use this for modelling wish I hadn't forgot. The cake is for tomorrow so there is still time. Question is can I re-ice the cake or do I have to start from scratch.

Thanks

3 replies
lynndy-lou Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 4

No need to start again just remove the icing, I did this the other day on a wedding cake. Iced it in the evening, got up in the morning and wasnt happy with it so took icing of and redid it.

kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 4

I'm not understanding you post icon_sad.gif Do you mean to say you painted stripes on fondant last night and now it looks cracked?

If you take the fondant off as suggested (Yes, very do-able) you will have to use new fondant because the color used to paint it will color the whole batch.

If I misunderstood and the fondant is all one color then yes, go ahead and remove it; make sure to scrap off any crumbs (wipe w/a slightly damp cloth if necessary); if it's just buttercream that can be left; then re knead, roll and re apply.

lynndy-lou Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 4

I did use fresh icing, not the icing I removed from the cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%