Re Ice A Cake?

Decorating By melba76 Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 1:54pm by lynndy-lou

melba76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melba76 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 10:55am
post #1 of 4

I iced a cake last night with fondant. the mother asked for stripes. I have never done it before but the pint I used seems to have cracked and now remember I only use this for modelling wish I hadn't forgot. The cake is for tomorrow so there is still time. Question is can I re-ice the cake or do I have to start from scratch.

Thanks

3 replies
lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 4

No need to start again just remove the icing, I did this the other day on a wedding cake. Iced it in the evening, got up in the morning and wasnt happy with it so took icing of and redid it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 4

I'm not understanding you post icon_sad.gif Do you mean to say you painted stripes on fondant last night and now it looks cracked?

If you take the fondant off as suggested (Yes, very do-able) you will have to use new fondant because the color used to paint it will color the whole batch.

If I misunderstood and the fondant is all one color then yes, go ahead and remove it; make sure to scrap off any crumbs (wipe w/a slightly damp cloth if necessary); if it's just buttercream that can be left; then re knead, roll and re apply.

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 4

I did use fresh icing, not the icing I removed from the cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%