How Do I Make Flames On Fondant Without An Airbrush?

Decorating By momof2redheads Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm by momof2redheads

momof2redheads Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof2redheads Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 3:36am
post #1 of 6

I am an hobbyist who is making a monster truck cake for my son's birthday. His favorite truck has flames on it, but I don't know how to properly do that. Can I just paint them on with gel color? Any help will be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

5 replies
mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:00am
post #2 of 6

Yes, you can paint them on if you mix a little vanilla or vodka with a gel color. icon_smile.gif

shannonmarie77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonmarie77 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:30am
post #3 of 6

At Michael's they have frosting/coloring that is like a spray paint, maybe you could make a stencil and spray it on?

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:33am
post #4 of 6

Checkout my guitar cake, I cut flames out of yellow fondant, then I bought a can of red color mist by wilton and sprayed the edges. Be careful when you place it on the cake, it will be wet and it will smuge. (is that how you spell that? LOL). I was happy with the way it came out. Good luck, Eva

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 6

Just a suggestion, I made flames using Wilton Mist Sprays from any store that carries them. Here on CC there is a wonderful template:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1374710.html

Here is a picture of a cake where I used this template cut out of plastic sheet cutting boards or clean sheet white card stock.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1733163.html.

I sprayed the template placed on side of cake first with blue, then removed the template and sprayed lightly with red. HTH
Hamsquad

momof2redheads Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof2redheads Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the tips. Wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%