How Would I Preserve This?

Lounge By KayMc Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 7:37pm by jen1977

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:13am
post #1 of 9

I made a big batch of Sugar Shack's butter cream today (the big 6 qt recipe). I have it in a tight, tupperware style container. What is the best way to preserve this, as now plans have changed and I won't need it this weekend. I leave Monday morning for a business trip, and I'll be gone two weeks, so it's unlikely that I'll need this frosting for 3-4 weeks. Should I freeze it, or just keep in the fridge? I don't want to waste the ingredients and effort.

8 replies
bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:35am
post #2 of 9

i was told freezing works well, but havn't done it ...yet.

KayMc Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:59am
post #3 of 9

Has anyone tried to freeze this? I don't want to ruin the consistency! Or, will it keep for a month in the fridge with no problem?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:25am
post #4 of 9

I freeze frosting all the time. It will be fine.

KayMc Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:24am
post #5 of 9

Thanks cakesbycathy! I'll get mine in the freezer today.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 9

I freeze frosting in gallon ziploc bags with all the air out. Lay them flat and they don't take much room in the freezer!

KayMc Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 9

Jen, I took your advice. I just didn't feel comfortable with the tupperware container, as it's not intended for freezer. I took it out of the freezer (had only been in an hour, so wasn't even stiff yet) and divided it up into two freezer bags, double bagged. Thanks. I feel better now. And, it takes up less room in the freezer.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 9

I always whip up an 11 pound batch of SugarShack's icing and keep it in the freezer in a plastic container. I put a sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the icing so condensation doesn't drip down from the lid into the icing while it's thawing. Whatever I don't use, I pop back into the freezer.

I also have a bazillion little containers of leftover colored icing in the freezer.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Jen, I took your advice. I just didn't feel comfortable with the tupperware container, as it's not intended for freezer. I took it out of the freezer (had only been in an hour, so wasn't even stiff yet) and divided it up into two freezer bags, double bagged. Thanks. I feel better now. And, it takes up less room in the freezer.

No problem! I always put it in freezer bags, and have never had a problem. I hate to make frosting, so I fill my 6qt mixer when I do and freeze the extra.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%