Subbing The Milk For The Hershey's Cake

Baking By BethLS Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm by BethLS

BethLS Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

So mt dear family asked for my chocolate cuppies for a small function tomorrow night...I usually always use the hershey's recipe. However, somehow icon_surprised.gif...we have no milk in the house! (I'm truly shocked! We almost always have two+ gallons)

Anywho, without making a run to the store at 10oclock at night (Im in the country boonies!) what can I sub it for? Can I just use half water half coffee for the milk and water ingredients? I still want them to be the delicious cuppies I've grown to love icon_wink.gif

4 replies
deMuralist Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 5

I would just go with the coffee in equal substitution for the milk, I have done this before and it is quite good.

BethLS Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 5

Thankyou so much for the quick reply! I really appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

Now I can get to baking icon_biggrin.gif

still_learning Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:23am
post #4 of 5

I think that in one of my kitchen guide books they suggest water + butter to sub for milk (not sure the ratio). I guess the butter replaces the fat in the milk. Let us know how it works out!

BethLS Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 5

So I just wanted to post an update for those interested in hearing how the final result tasted.

In a nutshell? They. Are. TERRIBLE.

Really, I think grocery-store cake would've been better! lol

I made 6 cuppies (my mom wanted cuppies) and two rounds with the batter. The cakes stuck like no tomorrow and were horrid to get out of the pans. (but finally succeeded, though thankfully icing covered up how terrible they looked!) I tried some of the warm cake from my masecered (spell check!) cakes and eww! I LOVE coffee, I mean, just love it. Hot, cold, strong, mild, sweetened, you name it. But YUCK. Much too strong of a coffee flavor (I did use espresso) and didnt taste the chocolate much.

I did add in a tablespoon of sour cream to add more fat back into the recipe.

So, who knows? But next time I'm just sticking to the original! And off to the store for MILK heehee.

Quote by @%username% on %date%