Icing Backing Up In Bag

Decorating By lyn144 Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 2:27pm by DianeLM

lyn144 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:36am
post #1 of 6

"Somewhere" I saw a hint and photos about how to prevent the icing from backing up in the decorating bag but I don't know where I saw it. Have any of you ladies seen this? Can you direct me there? Duh! but I KNOW I saw it!!!TIA

5 replies
leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 6

Well, the icing generally doesn't back up unless the tip is clogged.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 5:58am
post #3 of 6

Are you talking about the icing plug? I think it's on a sticky at the top of the How Do I? thread. Says something about a "great tip from my instructor" I think.

If that's not what you're talking about, then I hope this is. When I pipe, I grab the bag just a hand-length from the tip, using my right hand (that's my dominant hand). Then I squeeze/pinch the bag using my thumb and forefinger of my right hand. Twist the bag a couple times at this pinch mark. This seals off the area you're actually piping with so that when you squeeze, the icing will go out the tip, not back into the bag. You might have to hold the upper part of the bag depending on how full the bag is so the icing doesn't fall out.

Marianna46 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 6:48am
post #4 of 6

I do what Rose_N_Crantz does about twisting the bag not too far from the tip. I keep the rest of the icing from coming out the back end of the bag by closing it with a rubber band or a twist-tie. Doing it like this gives you a lot more control over your piping, by the way, and goodness knows I need all the control I can get.

indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:54am
post #5 of 6

I twist the top of the bag closed and that's where I hold it. There's nowhere for the icing to back-up to since the bag is twisted tightly shut.

DianeLM Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 6

I do the same as Rose N Crantz and Marianna46, except I use a Twixit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00076VGQY/?tag=cakecentral-20 to hold the top of the bag closed. I also use the icing plugs RNC mentioned

Quote by @%username% on %date%