Help With A Hypothetical Please

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 7 Sep 2010 , 9:02pm by vtcake

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hypothetically speaking:
What happens if someone registers a complaint with the Better Business Bureau about you and you are NOT a member of the BBB?

5 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:26am
post #2 of 6

I'm trying to look this up online for you, but not having any luck so far.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 6

You can still respond to it. They'll contact you and see your side of it. They don't have any legal authority over anything, but if you don't respond then they keep that on record, so you should respond and let them know what your side of the story is so that they know you tried to resolve the issue.

I think that if someone files a complaint they do put that on public record, so if someone else comes along and does a request to see your record, it will be there. It won't show you as an accredited member of the BBB but the review will be there. I could be wrong about that, but I think that's how it works. They don't just collect reviews about members, if anyone complains about a business they'll file it for them.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:51am
post #4 of 6

Here's a link to my local BBB's complaint-filing page. I'm a member of the BBB, so if someone files a complaint about me then they will help me with mediation if I want it. For someone who isn't a member, then they send you a copy of the complaint and you tell your side. If they don't get a response, then that goes on the record for anyoe who looks you up, so it just looks bad for you. https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx?siteID=85

Not to pick on this one bakery, but I know that they don't want to deal with the BBB, so this is the page where their report is. They're not a member of the BBB but someone obviously filed a complaint and they wouldn't respond, so it affects your online rating when people look you up. http://www.bbb.org/richmond/business-reviews/bakers-retail/mixing-bowl-pastry-shoppe-in-richmond-va-9001601/

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your help!

No one complained about me, but someone in my family in a completely unrelated field (I know it sounds like I'm saying "I swear mom I'm just holding it for a friend icon_rolleyes.gif ).

I'd seen the issue raised before so I figured someone would know the answer.
Thanks again!!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 6

In some states if not all, they BBB doesn't do anything unless they receive a minimum of however many complaints against the same business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%