Merangue Based Icings

Decorating By Edith2010 Updated 5 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm by drakegore

Edith2010 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 6

I am a new user to these icings and I want to know the "room temperature" time frame for cakes decorated with these icings? I understand there is an issue with the egg whites used to make the icing and the safety of the eggs not being "cooked" or cooked to a temperature that is safe enough. Can someone please tell me how then do cake shops get away with wedding cake, lets say, sitting out at room temperature in a venue until the cake is cut?

5 replies
dynee Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 6

It is my understanding that the eggs ARE cooked enough to be considered safe. If you have doubts, you can use powdered egg whites. I do it all the time and the flavor is still great.

icer101 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 6

Some people use the liquid pasteurized egg whites in the carton. Some use the powdered egg whites. These recipes have been around for many, many, years. Top decorators have been using these recipes for many years. I personally use the real egg whites like silvia weinstock, toba garrett, collette peters, etc. I just love the taste of these icings. If you don,t feel comfortable , then you should use the ones i mentioned . hth

drakegore Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 6

160 degrees is the temp needed to be reached to render real egg whites safe. you can be certain of reaching this temp with swiss meringue buttercream if you have a cheap cany thermometer. you cannot be assured of having safe egg whites with italiam meringue buttercream because much of the heat from the sugar syrup is absorbed by the bowl and not the egg whites (this is what i have read from baking authorities, i am not an expert on egg safety).

there is much debate on just how long it is safe to leave smbc/imbc unfridged. i cannot tell you what is right, but i have no issue with leaving mine out for up to 6-8 hours. some folks are fine with leaving it out for a day or more. you kind of HAVE to leave it out for 2-3 hours for it just to come to room temp.

diane

Erin3085 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 6

I was of the understanding that with SMBC, the egg whites are pasteurized while you are dissolving the sugar and you don't need a thermometer, because the temp required to pasteurize the egg is lower than the temp required to dissolve the sugar. ???? I read that on several cooking websites and assumed it's true. icon_biggrin.gif

I only refigerate a cake iced with that frosting if we wont be cutting and eating it that day. Overnight, it goes in the fridge, but if I make it in the morning and we eat it in the afternoon I assume it's fine and have never had issues.

drakegore Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 6

erin
i also have read that if you don't have a thermometer handy, then go by when the sugar crystals are completely dissolved because the temp is reached by the time they have dissolved. for me this is usually 3-4 minutes. i do a lot of kids cakes and i just don't want to take any chances i don't have to when i can use a thermometer (wal-mart has a really cheap but pretty good one for about $3.00). i also hate to put my fingers into the eggs whites to check and see if the crystals are dissolved icon_smile.gif.
diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%