Carving/sculpting A Cake- Please Help

Decorating By sdc078 Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 6:48am by hollyml

sdc078 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdc078 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to make a guitar and I was wondering about carving the cake into the shape: should I refrigerate the cake first to firm it up? and should I do a crumbcoat on it before cutting it as well??

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

8 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 9

Freeze it first, don't refrigerate. (The refrigerator tends to dry it out, but freezing will actually make it more moist!) Carve first, then crumbcoat -- there's no point in applying a crumbcoat you're just going to cut off!

sdc078 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdc078 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 9

That makes sense : ) Thank u for the help! I appreciate it : )

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 9

I've never actually carved a cold or frozen cake myself, so that is a step I always leave out and haven't had any problems doing so.

Crumb coat after carving, other wise you will end up cutting alot of it off. Plus that is what seals in all the crumbs so you don't have the crumb issue when icing it.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, Holly is right, freeze the cake and then carve it. I did a guitar cake (it's in my pics) and it was one of the first I have ever carved. I just cut a shape i wanted out of paper and laid it right on top of the cake.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 9

I like to chill my cakes before carving. But only for a few minutes to firm up the outside of the cake. Not frozen solid, otherwise it would be impossible to carve and would take forever to thaw.

A few minutes = 20 minutes minimum. Longer if it's a bigger, thicker cake.

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've never actually carved a cold or frozen cake myself, so that is a step I always leave out and haven't had any problems doing so.

Crumb coat after carving, other wise you will end up cutting alot of it off. Plus that is what seals in all the crumbs so you don't have the crumb issue when icing it.

Im with you on this one I have never carved a chilled or frozen cake. Can I ask why anyone would?

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:20am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynndy-lou

Im with you on this one I have never carved a chilled or frozen cake. Can I ask why anyone would?

If you want sharp corners when carving, or are making small cuts, it's much easier to carve a solid material than a squishy one, IMO.

I've done both, which one I do depends on how much time I have to work with. If I have time to freeze it, carve it, wait for it to come to room temp, and then frost it, I prefer to do it that way.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:48am
post #9 of 9

Frozen cake is just so much easier to handle; you can cut and arrange without worrying about squishing the cake or keeping each layer or piece supported as you move it around. I suppose it's not necessary if you are just, say, cutting a shape out of a single large sheet cake -- but if you are flipping and rotating and stacking different shaped pieces, I think it would be awfully hard to do it without freezing, especially if your pieces are large.

IME the cake thaws to a frost-able temperature pretty quickly -- by the time you've got the pieces cut and placed where you want them, the cake is usually still a bit chilled but not frozen any more, and you can crumb coat it then.

I usually bake the cake a day or two before assembling, so it goes in the freezer overnight at least. I've never had one be too hard to carve right out of the freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%